Thread: 300 AAC / Blackout my newest "favorite" ??

n4ue

300 AAC / Blackout my newest "favorite" ??

OK, I LOVE Savage rifles, owning more than 13 Axis models alone! Yep, also have some M12s, M25s, etc.
    However, I gotta tell ya, the 300 AAC / Blackout, has become my new favorite out of 40 ctg, that I reload. Yep. FORTY.

Why? I guess it's all about efficiency..... I have even made my own wildcats, one called the 22-204 AI, it is based on a lowly 223 Axis rifle I rechambered and it is fantastic. And NO, it's NOT a 224 Rem Mag!!!!

However, let me give you a short experience with the 300 Blk.

I have a private range with different targets from 10 to 300 yards. I have two 300 Blk rifles.
    #1 is an AR-15 based (for now) on a Colt Hbar lower and a Bravo Company 16" upper. It has just a red dot sight. My PSA lower is in transit.
    #2 is a new Axis 223, which I pulled the bbl and put on a Skinner HB 22" tube.

Today, I was at the range sighting in a new scope on the Axis. Working for my buddy's farm, we have LOTS of 2 1/2 gal heavy plastic jugs that are scrap.
    I filled one full of H2O and at 130 yards, I hit it dead ctr with a 168 gr Hornady #30452. It caused a nice leak, both sides. I immediately switched to a Hornady #3015 110 Gr round nose and hit the jug about 3" lower.
    The jug exploded.

Not wanting to get into power/charge weights, I just wanted to show, that this little round will do it all. From max penetration to explosive performance. It's awesome! AND it can be quiet: aka: 300 Whisper.......

I was reading a review a while back about a comparison of the 7 TCU versus the 300 AAC for shooting IHMSA. Although the 7 TCU launched it's 140 gr bullets supersonic (almost 2X), it lost almost 900 fps by the time it got to 220 yards (ram). The 300 AAC using a 150 gr subsonic bullet, lost only 90 fps. Yep, pushing those pills fast, has it's disadvantages! I don't have a 7 TCU, I shoot a 6.5 TCU in both handguns and A rechambered Axis rifle with a McGowan SS bbl.

I load a LOT of varmint ctgs in my Savage rifles and also shoot our M107A1 Barrett (50 BMG) and Springfield Armory M1A 308.... Just for reference....

BTW, the Axis 300 Blk has a threaded bbl for the 220 Sierra MKs which are SUBSONIC, wink............

Have fun, this is just an amazing little ctg and it's become VERY popular, for many reasons! Thank you, J D Jones!!!!!!!!.

ron

maxl
    I feel the same way about 300blk, I recently built 3 ar uppers in the blackout. I'm going to buy a ruger american ranch in 300 blk when they become more available, only because savage don't have an offering yet, but they will eventually and I say that because of it's popularity. I have thought about buying a hog hunter and converting it to 300 blk but I have read some stories on ejection problems going that route. Great do all caliber if you know it's limitations.

Luke45
    300 is great In ar platforms!!

I do have a question with bolt guns though, IMHO a 308(hand loaded) can do everything a 300 blacklout can do and some better, from 230 gr subsonic loads to 3400 fps 110 vmax

Don't mean to burst your bubble just never saw the point in a 300 blackout bolt gun

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    never saw the point in a 300 blackout bolt gun
    I was having this exact conversation with a coworker this morning. Our disagreement was about the 300 blackout and the 6.5 Grendel in bolt guns, my argument was that the 300 blackout and 6.5 Grendel are awesome because you can build them on AR platforms. But if your gonna build a bolt that a 308 was superior to a 300 blackout and that a 6.5 creedmore or 260 were both superior to the Grendel.
    I think I hurt his feelings by telling him that I thought a bolt 300aac was silly. But maybe I'm missing something???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Londerko View Post
    I was having this exact conversation with a coworker this morning. Our disagreement was about the 300 blackout and the 6.5 Grendel in bolt guns, my argument was that the 300 blackout and 6.5 Grendel are awesome because you can build them on AR platforms. But if your gonna build a bolt that a 308 was superior to a 300 blackout and that a 6.5 creedmore or 260 were both superior to the Grendel.
    I think I hurt his feelings by telling him that I thought a bolt 300aac was silly. But maybe I'm missing something???
    Bolt action is much quieter suppressed. Don't have to chase brass. Can use powder other than unobtanium A1680 for subs needed to cycle an AR. Doesn't add to the "black rifle" stigma when you take it deer hunting. Lighter weight, potentially. Can seat a 240gr SMK at a reasonable length.

Thats about it.

Basic Member
    That makes sense, but couldn't a 308 bolt do all that but better?

maxl
    I like it for many reasons, one is my girlfriend and teenage daughter like to shoot the 300 blk because of it's light recoil, and it's ability to kill deer at reasonable ranges neither of them would hunt if they had to endure 308 recoil although I could reduce the charge to make it more manageable. Also most 300 blk platforms are light and short whether its an ar or bolt gun which makes it a perfect weapon for them, and myself in most of our deer hunting situations.

Luke45
    308 can easily be loaded to blackout velocitys and they use the same length action .

But to each his own!!
    Last edited by Luke45; 03-13-2015 at 09:52 AM.

n4ue
    Yep, it's all about having fun while we are able to.
    When I built the 300 AAC Savage using a 223 HB Axis, I could have done it the "easy" way, and just purchased an Axis 308 HB. What fun would that be?
    I actually really enjoy making the AAC brass from the hundreds of 223 brass cases I have. Although I 'stocked up' on 223 brass years ago, the lgs has large bags of once fired 223 for cheap, REAL cheap.....
    My only thought about making the 308 shoot subsonic, is that 308 case is awful big for 9 gr of W296. I've read too may tech articles about powder position in a largish case.
    It would be uncharted territory for me anyway......... I like 100% load density.
    YMMV

ron

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Yep, it's all about having fun while we are able to.
    When I built the 300 AAC Savage using a 223 HB Axis, I could have done it the "easy" way, and just purchased an Axis 308 HB. What fun would that be?
    I actually really enjoy making the AAC brass from the hundreds of 223 brass cases I have. Although I 'stocked up' on 223 brass years ago, the lgs has large bags of once fired 223 for cheap, REAL cheap.....
    My only thought about making the 308 shoot subsonic, is that 308 case is awful big for 9 gr of W296. I've read too may tech articles about powder position in a largish case.
    It would be uncharted territory for me anyway......... I like 100% load density.
    YMMV

ron
    Ron that makes sense!

And trailboss gives 80%+ load density at sub sonic with a 308

sub sonic loads are way to much fun

n4ue
    Luke, it just amazes me HOW many powders there are 'nowdays' and more coming out all the time. My Burn Rate Chart lists 145 powders. There are some that are the same like W296 and H110. This particular pair MAY have been different in the past, but according to the Mfg, they are the same and made here in Florida (St. Marys)....
    I have some powders that still have $5 price tags on them, but they have always been stored in a cool, dry place and still look and smell good! ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    It's not always about which is "better"...better to one person might not be better for the next person. For me, my Axis 300BO was built as a light weight subsonic/suppressed PA whitetail rifle. We are not allowed to hunt with semi auto rifles, so it's shotgun or bolt action in PA. I like my Axis because it's compact and light even with my TBAC on the end of it.

I don't see the point of having a 308 case when I want to load subsonic to hunt with suppressor.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I like my Axis because it's compact and light

I don't see the point of having a 308 case when I want to load subsonic to hunt with suppressor.
    300 blk and 308 both use the same
    Actions, one is not lighter or more
    Compact from the other

In bolt actions where you
    Don't have to cycle a
    Semi auto, subsonic 308 loads are just
    As accurate And reliable As 300 blk

maxl
    I think this has turned into a 300 blk vs 308 thread. If you don't have or never will have a 300 blk you will probably never understand the 300 blk. I think Ron said it best "it's about having fun". And luke 45 a 300 blk is lighter and more compact simple because a 16 inch barrel is plenty of barrel length for this caliber to maximize its velocity, light and compact means the over all length of the weapon can be very short, I think the ruger american 300 blk is only 35 inches in overall length for example. Light, compact, low recoil, effective up to deer size game, super or subsonic what's not to like.

Basic Member
    I never said that the action was lighter nor did I say the action was more compact...you really need to learn reading comprehension.

As Maxl stated...the 300BO isn't for everyone. Like it great...don't like it great. Seems no matter what forum you belong to there's always X caliber is better than Y caliber because... Living America is great because we have choices.

I like the 300BO because with a 16" barrel and my suppressor I can kill PA whitetail. I find the package to be compact and lighter than other hunting rigs that I have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    300 blk and 308 both use the same
    Actions, one is not lighter or more
    Compact from the other

In bolt actions where you
    Don't have to cycle a
    Semi auto, subsonic 308 loads are just
    As accurate And reliable As 300 blk