Thread: Let's see if I have this right... Long action options

mckenziedrums

Let's see if I have this right... Long action options

So it seems that us crazy people doing builds with long actions are pretty limited... (Btw Hi... I'm Tim... Long time lurker, new poster.. yada yada) On a whim I decided to grab a beat up Stevens 200 long action and build a 30-06 target rifle. I've been slacking off the past couple weeks and it looks like my barrel will be here Monday and I am without a stock. Got everything else I need to put it together I think but missing kind of a key component.

Talked to Kevin at Stockade and they're about 6 months out... Don't mind ordering one since they make good stuff but I need something to get me by. It looks like Choate is really the only option out there for an aluminum bedded stock that isn't a full chassis. I've toyed with the idea of another chassis (my 12lrp is in a Mcree at the moment) but I'm not sure if I want to go that route with this one or not.

B&C seems to only make one LA stock that's for hunting rifles...
    Boyds doesn't have the bedding block so for my purposes I'm not considering it (yes I know... I can glass bed it)

So am I missing an obvious option? My short actions are much easier to buy for... but why buy a 308 when a 30-06 can do everything it can do but better?

KRP
    John Whidden makes an aluminum v-block for the Savage, put it in any stock you want.

A Boyd's laminate bedded with Devcon will work as well or better than most aluminum bedded stocks, in my opinion. Oh, and welcome to the forum

It's hard to beat the Choate Tactical. I used one for my build and the rifle is dead nutz accurate.

mckenziedrums
    Let's just say I like having the aluminum reinforcement. You're right, you can bed a laminate within an inch of its life but I've had great luck with aluminum bedding blocks. Whidden is an option but not sure I have the bandwidth to get that in one right now. I suppose I could go with the Choate as a temporary fix until I can get a Stockade. Heck I may like it but they've always seemed a little cheap to me.

Have you considered HS? I have one for my long action and have been happy with it

mckenziedrums
    Quote Originally Posted by SICARIO View Post
    Have you considered HS? I have one for my long action and have been happy with it
    Do they even make a center feed long action stock? If so I haven't seen it....

Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    Do they even make a center feed long action stock? If so I haven't seen it....
    Yes, it is the model that comes on the 110 FCP HS Precision...don't know the SKU, sorry.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    It's hard to beat the Choate Tactical. I used one for my build and the rifle is dead nutz accurate.
    ^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^