Thread: Question; Fixed power vs. Variable for target?

Basic Member

Question; Fixed power vs. Variable for target?

I am considering buying a fixed power scope, mostly for economic reasons, for 100 to 300 yard target shooting. I went on the Optics Planet website and found a Sightron S-11 36X by 42mm fixed power scope for about 400 bucks. What are the advantages or dis-advantages of a fixed power? I rarely take my current 6-24X scope off the highest power setting for target shooting, and I have no plans to do any hunting with this gun. But my current POS scope does not hold zero, or even adjust properly. Yesterday I gave it 4 clicks up to adjust POI with a lower velocity load and it did not move even the slightest. I tapped the turret with an empty shell casing- first time I tried that trick, but nothing. Not the first time I've had this problem with this scope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The biggest disadvantage I've seen from a 36x fixed power is mirage. The further he distance, the worse it gets. Probably the biggest advantage is that they're built using fewer moving parts as compared to a variable power scope, it used to be that meant for better accuracy, but today's variables seem to be pretty good.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

CJnWy
    I run a few fixed 12x Leupolds a couple of 16x IORs and a sightron 20x. I like fixed power as it usually gives you more travel and a larger field of view per power.
    I put a 20x Sightron on the 338. + It tracks great and has a LOT of travel. - It is difficult to get focused and is very poor in low light.
    The two IOR 16x scopes outdo the 20x sightron hands down for light gathering and focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The biggest disadvantage I've seen from a 36x fixed power is mirage. The further he distance, the worse it gets. Probably the biggest advantage is that they're built using fewer moving parts as compared to a variable power scope, it used to be that meant for better accuracy, but today's variables seem to be pretty good.
    ^ Spot on.
    I have a Weaver T-36 that is very similar to the Sightron you're looking at. It is nice to have all that magnification, as long as conditions are good. Once the mirage starts to really boil, which happens a lot here, it's of limited use. Partly because I've never matured enough as a shooter to deal with mirage, but it also would be nice to be able to dial it down to around 20X or so. If I were looking at a fixed power scope for that distance, I'd look hard at a 24X. Or just accept that at times your 36X will frustrate you.
    Remember, a lower power scope does not make mirage go away. It just makes it less obvious.
    Other than that, I've been very happy with my T-36 as far as tracking, clarity, holding zero, etc. Mine has been mostly used on a heavy barreled .308.

Quote Originally Posted by hotolds442 View Post
    the biggest disadvantage i've seen from a 36x fixed power is mirage. The further he distance, the worse it gets. Probably the biggest advantage is that they're built using fewer moving parts as compared to a variable power scope, it used to be that meant for better accuracy, but today's variables seem to be pretty good.

ditto

20 or 16x SWFA SS. I use a 16X for 600 and 1000 on hot summer days.

Basic Member
    I run Vortex 5-20x50 Razor HD. I shot mostly between 10x and 15x, I back down to find targets more quickly then zoom back in to take a shot. If you have to switch between targets quickly then the variable is quite handy. If you want to go to a fixed there isn't much you can't do with a fixed 10 or 12 power. The Military used fixed 10's for quite some time. but now that terrain is more urban the variable is where it's at.

Basic Member
    Hotolds, barrelnut,

I've noticed the boil you mention, even on rather cool days this winter. And yes, dialing down the magnification does seem to help, but my question is this; does dialing it down actually increase accuracy? My understanding of mirage is that light is bent by heat waves, and moves the apparent position of the target as seen through the scope. This results in a POI out of position from POA, assuming the ammo is doing its job. So how do you "shoot through the boil"? If I'm chasing a mirage, I can't also be chasing accuracy. Am I totally clueless, or worse, am I asking you to reveal one of those best kept secrets?

BigDave
    That is some advanced stuff there! Sheesh! Do you actually do the math for these conditions and apply the dope?

I bookmarked it so I can go back to it. I had to take a break. I got half way down the page when I was overtaken by a boiling mirage with lateral movement. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I am considering buying a fixed power scope, mostly for economic reasons, for 100 to 300 yard target shooting. I went on the Optics Planet website and found a Sightron S-11 36X by 42mm fixed power scope for about 400 bucks. What are the advantages or dis-advantages of a fixed power? I rarely take my current 6-24X scope off the highest power setting for target shooting, and I have no plans to do any hunting with this gun. But my current POS scope does not hold zero, or even adjust properly. Yesterday I gave it 4 clicks up to adjust POI with a lower velocity load and it did not move even the slightest. I tapped the turret with an empty shell casing- first time I tried that trick, but nothing. Not the first time I've had this problem with this scope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Go here:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...fle-scope.html

Read the review by the guy who also owns a Sightron SIII 8-32x56. IMO 42mm is WAY too small for a 32 power scope. It will be dark in anything but bright sunshine. Target acquisition will be a bear.

Dont despair. Just bite the bullet and get the Sightron SIII 8-32x56. You still will have 8 power for target acquisition and 32 power that will be a lot brighter because of the 56mm objective. Yes, it cost more $$. Yes, it will be heavier. I think you would be much happier with the variable.

I did a lot of research into fixed power scopes. It seems that MOST shooters (not all) prefer nothing larger than 16 power if using a fixed power scope. I was seriously considering the SWFA SS 20X42mm fixed. It is dark and hard to find your target. The fixed Sightron 32 power would be a mistake IMO. Spend the extra and get the Sightron SIII 8-32x56.
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-17-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Basic Member
    BigDave,

I don't think the 56mm will fit with my current base. A 50mm will barely fit, so if I buy the Sightron, what base/ring would you recommend for my Savage model 12?

Basic Member
    Here's what i use on mine with the SIII 6x24 and 8x32 Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Medium and EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear Short Action Matte. I have used and gotten by with low rings but the lens cap won't go in and that is a varmite weight barrel. All others are bull barrel with the medium rings. A 0-MOA base will allow more clearance at the front for lens caps.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    If you use the EGW one piece base and Warne Maxima medium ring you will have plenty of clearance for a 56 mm.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Basic Member
    Good advise, guys. Am going to be looking soon as my 6x24 went Tango Uniform last week when I noticed the reticle jumping around. It's going back, but I'm not hopeful that it'll come back any better. It's a pretty cheap scope. Right now I'm shooting a 4-12X40 Nikon and doing MUCH better, but I feel the need for more magnification with these not-so-young eyes of mine. Hmmmmm….24 or 36X?

BigDave
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Good advise, guys. Am going to be looking soon as my 6x24 went Tango Uniform last week when I noticed the reticle jumping around. It's going back, but I'm not hopeful that it'll come back any better. It's a pretty cheap scope. Right now I'm shooting a 4-12X40 Nikon and doing MUCH better, but I feel the need for more magnification with these not-so-young eyes of mine. Hmmmmm….24 or 36X?
    I would love to have a top tier scope at 35 power. As it is. I cant afford one. Sometimes it is better to give up magnification in order to have decent to good optical quality for the same money spent. So, I went to a 5.5-24 power. Even with mid range optics it is likely that the scope will only be usable to 20 power. I just got it. So, you see I am still feeling things out too.

I hear so many experts say that 10 or 12 power using very good optics is just fine out to 1000 yards. The "experts" that say this are fairly young with excellent eye sight.
    I feel that age makes me want greater magnification. I still want great optical clarity too. But that costs. Somewhere there is the best scope for each of us at the price point we can afford. It can be very hard to find that perfect match.

My advice? Buy something with some decent resale value in case you are unhappy and need to try something else. Once you mount a scope no place that I know of will accept it as an unused return.

Look under my 56mm thread in OPTICS and you will see a preview for the unboxing review of my new (today) Falcon 5.5-24x50mm FFP scope. IDK how its going to work out yet.

Well things change... I had to send the Falcon back due to severe tracking issues. I bit the bullet and paid twice a much for a REAL quality scope. Not top tier, but at close to $1K, no slouch.
    Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP Reticle ERS Riflescope, 6-24x50mm.
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-24-2015 at 09:02 PM.