Thread: Split: Chit-Chat in Classified Listings

thomae

Cool Split: Chit-Chat in Classified Listings

Come on guys, please remember Classified rule #1: (Quoted here for your convenience):

1. The classifieds are for selling items or posting want ads. They ARE NOT an area for you to discuss various topics related to or unrelated to the items listed, nor are they for "What's it worth" or "I'm thinking about selling.." type posts.
    That's great that you think the item for sale is a good deal.

I'm happy that your brother/son/mother has something just like the item for sale and that it shoots really well.

I'm even impressed that you are planning to build one exactly like/similar to this one.

Finally, I am truly sorry that you just don't have the funds to purchase this right now.

HOWEVER: None of that belongs in posts in the classified section. You can politely inquire about specific details of the item being sold. You can ask for pictures. BUT, only posts that are directly related to the specific sale of the specific item in that particular classified will be allowed. I will delete the rest.

Thank you for your time.

Basic Member
    Lol

Luke45
    thomae they are helping the sale and bumping the post back to the top, i don't think deleting their posts is necessary, they are not causing problems

Luke45
    if anything you are hurting his chance of selling this rifle

With only 9 posts in the entire forum, a post saying nothing but "lol" is not necessary nor allowed. It does nothing to help the sale, nor does it even pertain to the sale. There's no reason to bump it to the top. Comments made in any classified ad that do not pertain directly to the sale of the item will be deleted. Comments publicly challenging a moderator's decision to moderate a forum will be dealt with also.

ETA: The rifle was marked SPF 2 days ago, well before the thread was moderated and inappropriate posts deleted.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-06-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    . Comments publicly challenging a moderator's decision to moderate a forum will be dealt with also.
    uh oh i think i'm about get "dealt with"

Ok guys, lets all simmer down here. Thomae and HotOlds442 are simply enforcing the rule that's been in place here and enforced for YEARS. Stop acting like this is something new.

BGinvestor's post that was deleted made it perfectly clear he had no interest in the rifle, thus there's no point in the reply having even been made.

Zap's reply falls into the same category

Waceyf's post follows suit, but at least it's showing he has some interest and thus probably shouldn't have been deleted.

The sellers reply to that post also should not have been deleted (it's his ad after all)

Waceyf comes back in again giving yet another reason why he's not interested in buying it - more useless banter that doesn't belong here.

This of course prompts the seller to chime in again and entertain said useless banter.

And so-on and so-forth until we get to this point - an ad in which 3/4 the replies have nothing to do with the sale of the item listed.

Classified ads are for buying and selling, not chit-chatting, and the rule is to keep the ads clean an uncluttered. The seller is trying to sell something, and as such replies should be limited to questions specific to the item for sale by those seriously interested in purchasing it. Those who are actually interested in the item listed don't want to have to read through 20 posts that have nothing to do with the condition or sale of the item while trying to figure out if it's still available or not.

We have 31 different boards on this forum to discuss pretty much anything and everything pertaining to Savage firearms. You want to chit-chat go do it in one of those because the boards in the classifieds are for buying and selling.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If I had realized my post would cause this I wouldn't have made it. I initially considered buying the gun then he replied and I felt it polite to reply back to him elaborating on why I thought I'd not make the purchase. I may have been a bit lengthy in my reply as I'm a long winded, animated individual. I felt the "enforcement" was part cynical, part comical which is why I replied with the lol. I apologized to the op in a private message for derailing the thread. The rifle is sold and I, as well as the op, have moved on. Next time I'll just stick to pm. I apologize if I offended others by trying to be friendly in a forum section not meant for such behavior. Hopefully this post is seen before it's deleted as well.

Not chastising anyone, just trying to clarify the rule so everyone's on the same page. As I said, the whole point is to keep the ads focused on what they are - a means to buy and sell. If/when you want to discuss something with the seller that IS NOT specifically related to purchasing the item they have for sale (or supplying the item they are looking for in the case of a WTB ad), simply take it up with them via email or PM so the ad thread doesn't get hi-jacked or side-tracked.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Waceyf View Post
    If I had realized my post would cause this I wouldn't have made it. I initially considered buying the gun then he replied and I felt it polite to reply back to him elaborating on why I thought I'd not make the purchase. I may have been a bit lengthy in my reply as I'm a long winded, animated individual. I felt the "enforcement" was part cynical, part comical which is why I replied with the lol. I apologized to the op in a private message for derailing the thread. The rifle is sold and I, as well as the op, have moved on. Next time I'll just stick to pm. I apologize if I offended others by trying to be friendly in a forum section not meant for such behavior. Hopefully this post is seen before it's deleted as well.
    Couldn't have said it better myself,

All hail king thomae!
    Last edited by Luke45; 03-07-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself, thomae needs to get off his high horse he is always on, believe me I am not the only one who thinks this. You can delete if you want but this is the "chit chat" thread and I'm carrying on the conversation
    Lol cheers buddy. No you're not man.. I do very much appreciate you speaking up on my behalf brother. I like J Baker approach much more, it was polite while making the point and I didn't feel talked down to. I understand some are dry and don't realize the way they come off but I did feel a simple "keep it on topic guys this is outside the scope of rule #xxx" or anything less "degrading" would've been plenty and we'd have all moved on. We're all adults here(I think??) and I don't think a barrage like that was necessary to remind us who's in charge. If things had been distasteful or whatever maybe. I honestly didn't think I was really breaking any rule when I made the posts as they were in direct reference to the FS item just with added info about a stock I own and maybe a project I'm working on. As you can tell by this post it's just how I am, long winded and boringly detailed...

Bottom line I'm a grown man, I proudly served my country, I work in a very strict industry(oilfield) and I raise 5 children, point being I know how to enforce and follow rules properly, but I am human and imperfect unlike others I suppose, and if I broke one to the extent it needs brought to my attention then directly tell me and I'll apologize and thank you for reminding me. No need talking down to me like I'm a stupid incompetent fool and trying to belittle me to flex internet muscle. Any rate I'm off MY high horse now so someone else can put their quarter in and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    All hail king thomae!
    You're just asking for a 3-day ban with such comments, and if I see one more disparaging comment aimed at a moderator for just doing their job here I'll fulfill your wish. You have a problem with a moderator or something they're doing bring it to my attention via PM and I'll look into it, and if I feel they're doing something they shouldn't be doing or could handle that situation in a better manner I'll take it up with them.

I know of a couple forums that don't allow posts from anyone other than the OP and all correspondence must be handled via PM. May be the route you have to take here. It definitely eliminates unnecessary bumps.

That's been mentioned (again recently even), but I really don't want to go that route unless it becomes absolutely necessary. The problem with doing that is that the seller ends up having to answer the same question over and over via PM rather than having it out there once for all to see.