Thread: Savage 116 .300 WM Rebarrel Question

Shooter2675

Savage 116 .300 WM Rebarrel Question

If I bought a Savage 116 stainless in .300 win mag from cabelas and wanted to put a better barrel on it, such as a Shilen, would I need a large shank or small shank barrel? The only stainless .300 WM made by Shilen I can find is small shank. Would that work?

Also, how much would a take off Savage 116 stainless barrel in .300 WM sell for? It would likely have 200-300 rounds through it already but maybe only 100-200. Also, how much would a non-acoustics savage stock sell for?

Thanks,

John

LongRange
    Shilen does make a large shank 300wm barrel...i have one on my 300...im not 100% sure but your barrel is most likely a small shank. Also before you swap barrels you may want to shoot it first, my 300 was extremely accurate with a factory cromoly barrel.

Shooter2675
    I would likely shoot it first. If I get good enough accuracy, I might just upgrade the stock and keep the barrel. But if I were to upgrade the barrel, would you reccomend a Brux or Douglas from SSS?

John

Basic Member
    You have many good options to pick from. Look at old posts on this topic to get a feel for what's available. Several barrel makers offer top quality prefits, and those that don't you can have chambered easily by a good smith. Some names to check out are (in random order) Northland, Apache, SinArms. You mentioned SSS already.
    At least a dozen top tier barrel makers, you can get a great tube from any of them. Prefits include Shilen, McGowen, Pac Nor, Benchmark, Shaw etc.
    I did just what you are doing a few months ago building my .300 WM. I bought a Bartlein barrel from Butch's Reloading, and had Jim from Apache thread, chamber, cut and crown it.
    Very happy with it, but there are many good ways you can go.
    And welcome to the site. Sounds like you already have the switchbarrel disease.

Barrel shank diameter can be determined by measuring length of barrel nut. 5/8" is large shank, 7/8'' is standard.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter2675 View Post
    I would likely shoot it first. If I get good enough accuracy, I might just upgrade the stock and keep the barrel. But if I were to upgrade the barrel, would you reccomend a Brux or Douglas from SSS?

John
    all the barrels you posted are high end barrels and i wouldnt be afraid to use any of them...personally i run shilen but have never used another barrel so i can not compare...the next barrels on both my riffles will most likely be from criterion as their customer service is "THE BEST" in the business and ive seen first hand the accuracy from their barrels.

also like short round said you can measure the barrel nut to see if its large or small...if i remember correctly the large shank barrels will have small step down near the barrel nut. also you may want to give jim at NSS a call he stocks quite a few barrels.