Thread: 11FCXP3 in a Boyd's stock?

panhead_geoff

11FCXP3 in a Boyd's stock?

Hi Savage Shooters.

My brother owns a model 11FCXP3 and I purchased him a Boyd's stock to replace the factory plastic, because I wasn't sure about the replacement bottom metal pieces to purchase we decided to wait until the stock was received and see if we can figure out what does and doesn't fit. My question is it appear the factory bottom pieces will work with the exception of the surround around the DBM where there is about a 3/4" rib that the stock is not fully channeled for, has anyone tried to channel the stock to fit the factory bottom surround?

I do realize that the Boyd's stocks are soft and thin through that section but this being a walnut stock it appears to be a little harder than some of the laminates I have.

This is a budget rifle and if a half hour with a chisel will do the trick it would be nice to save a few bucks.

panhead_geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by panhead_geoff View Post
    Hi Savage Shooters.

My brother owns a model 11FCXP3 and I purchased him a Boyd's stock to replace the factory plastic, because I wasn't sure about the replacement bottom metal pieces to purchase we decided to wait until the stock was received and see if we can figure out what does and doesn't fit. My question is it appear the factory bottom pieces will work with the exception of the surround around the DBM where there is about a 3/4" rib that the stock is not fully channeled for, has anyone tried to channel the stock to fit the factory bottom surround?

I do realize that the Boyd's stocks are soft and thin through that section but this being a walnut stock it appears to be a little harder than some of the laminates I have.

This is a budget rifle and if a half hour with a chisel will do the trick it would be nice to save a few bucks.

Just to give an update and in the case that someone else considers this as well, about 20 minutes going over everything and measuring and 10 minutes with the chisel, the rifle/stock are together and functioning as expected. As soon as I have some pictures on exactly what was done I will post to this thread for future reference.

amitt1
    I am interested in what stock you ordered and how you accomplished the fitting. I just got back from the local gun store and they had a 11 FCXP3 chambered in .243 for $360 and I was thinking it would be a good first project rifle. But, I am second guessing on the possible purchase as I can't find any good information on upgrading the stock to a Boyds.

panhead_geoff
    The rifle is 11FCXP3 in 22/250. The stock was the Boyd's pro varmint in walnut.
    Item Number - "43A174D-1G-2ZZ" Description - "PRO VARMINT SAVAGE 10 TBR DETACHABLE MAG SA FBC ZZ"

The bottom metal has a small rib that runs down the center, in my original post it was stated at 3/4" but was much smaller than this. after placing the bottom metal into the bottom inlet the front would not sit in place, a few minutes measuring the depth from the lip to the action in the original stock and the same with the boyd's stock result in the exact same .14 (IIRC) so marked, chiseled and removed the material and everything dropped in as you would expect. Pillars and bedding still need to be done, but the rifle was re-assembled, cycled, and shot to verify that it functioned correctly and no surprises.
    In my first post I mention that this was down to save a few bucks, I should have mentioned instead that this is done because there is absolutely nothing that failed to function correctly with the original DBM and while it would be nice to go with a CDI Precision bottom metal or similar, this rifle functions and shoots well and there was no reason to upgrade the bottom metal/magazine.