Thread: Eastern coyote or coywolf?

Titan1

Eastern coyote or coywolf?

Here in South East Ohio we have an overabundance of coyotes,who doesn't? lol No one around here hunts them since you can't eat them and they are everywhere.I have had them under my mobile home several times chasing cats and my beagle on one occasion. They stand in the open just accross the road from my house and even lay on the hillside watching me! They travel in packs and will even shadow a man walking through the woods. I have tried all kinds of techniques and positions ,calls, and even bait.They just won't come in, or even make a howel to let me know i've been busted.I've shot a few in North West Ohio where I am from,so I know I can't be THAT bad of a coyote hunter.The terrain here is hills rocks and a few pastures,game is abundant to support a population of 'yotes.I have even lost 48 chickens in 3 days time to these bast***s. I have even been in the front yard when they opened up not 40 yards from me. I mowed the lawn one day, it took me 2 hours, put my lawn mower away, let my chickens run free while I mowed,walked in the house to wash up and they killed 17 birds when I came back outside, not 10 full minutes later.( No exageration, 10 minutes)I have a small arsenal of Savage rifles to chose from,a few shotguns too.My favorite is a 110FP .300 Win Mag with 125gr. speer T-N-T's.I'm telling you these dogs are slick! Not like the guys on tv who shoot 5 or 10 'yotes in a half hours time out west.Eastern 'yotes are hard to kill!! They do not come running just because you turned on you PM-4, or tooted on your dog howler. I'm out of things to try and my rifle is growing rust from not being fired!! I don't think asking which rifle to use is my question here, but if you have a suggestion I'll sure give it a try!!Savage rifles, 110 FP.223, 110 243,110 FP Tacticle .308,110 FP .300 Win Mag. Any suggestions? Heck come and hunt them yourselves, I'll hook you up!! Plenty of Wayne National forest around here, in the neighborhood of 4500 acres just near my house and out the back door!!! Or is it possible that I don't have a coyote problem at all, but I have Coy-Wolves?( do a search on coywolves and discovery channel, they are for real)~Titan1

Basic Member

Re: Eastern coyote or coywolf?

time to marinate some hamburger in antifreeze?

I feel your pain, as I have similar problems with yotes around my house, we got 2 great Pyrenees that help push them out.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Titan1

Antifreeze and hamburger, hmmm.... To non-selective, but will keep this recipe for "plan B"!!

dcloco

You need to adopt a couple of retired racing dogs - NOT kidding.

Greyhounds and Airedales make VERY short work of coyotes.

30 Caliber holes make invisible souls.....
    If they are that close(chickens) use what my friend calls "Skatty-Gun" 12 guage preferably
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Coyotes are most likely the smartest animal in the woods, besides man (some men anyways). They learn faster than most kids and are very efficient killers, as you have learned. I have some questions for you.

1. I realize you've tried calls, but which ones? The ones they sell comercially, like the dying rabbit, etc? If so, then try the UNCOVENTIONAL one. Such as a whimpering puppy, or a scared chicken, or a lost and mewing kitten. Point is, since they seem to go after those in your area, that is most likely the sounds they'll key in on.

As for baiting.....well, I can tell you when I lived in Centerville, Oh, we tied up a chicken with one leg tied to a post. Very effective. Tie one rope to the post and another to the other leg and hold that rope. A few gentle tugs on your rope will elicit a few clucks now and then, maybe a bit more. THAT is the dinner bell! Some guys even train dogs to act as decoys for Yotes. They do not tie them up but the dogs do come back to master, on cue, they bring them home to daddy.

Set up in a clearing, but near enough to cover for the yote to feel hidden.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Titan1

handirifle, I have a Prey Master 4 with an assortment of 20 calls.coy pup,chicken in distress,whitetail fawn a locater call yote growl, yote and a coon fighting,crow, just to name a few.I also have a few mouth calls from Johnny Stewart. It seems the only thing I haven't tried is your chicken on a post routine, though I am aware how it works.Does the military have any of those Blue-82, -"Daisy Cutters", left. I may need one !! lol And for the mewing kitten..... my daughter would litterally SKIN ME ALIVE!!! I have givin it some thought!!! lol Thank you all for the replies,~Titan1

Team Savage

Might sound simple but why not let "someone else" mow the yard while you sit out back with a loaded .223 Savage? Maybe build a moveable wire cage area for the chickens to peck in while you're waiting then turn the loose again.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.