Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making an Action Wrench for Centerfeed Savages?

Basic Member

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen some people just take an old bolt head and weld it to some round stock. Then weld the round stock to something they can grab in a vise

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    Only change I think I might ever make it to lathe down the stock to round except for the front so that It only turned on that part of the reciever.
    Typically that's how they were made, they only engaged the lug races they're length in the receiver ring.

If you look you can see the back of lug is just outside the ring, the forward portion is touching or almost touching the barrel tenon. I only use those tools for swaps after the factory Igore tightened barrel(s) are pulled. For those I use a different setup-tools, no barrel vise either way.

Bill

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Typically that's how they were made, they only engaged the lug races they're length in the receiver ring.

If you look you can see the back of lug is just outside the ring, the forward portion is touching or almost touching the barrel tenon. I only use those tools for swaps after the factory Igore tightened barrel(s) are pulled. For those I use a different setup-tools, no barrel vise either way.

Bill

Bill
    I see. That doesn't actually look that hard to make, but I just think for now a vice might do me more good economically. I have a lot of metal laying around, but not necessarily the right size, shape, hardness, or tooling to make the part. Welders, grinders, torches, chopsaws, and drill presses, but not a mill that I have had to talk myself out of due to the financial stress from being a college student many times. Everything else is just farm stuff and is justified by the frequent use they see.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    That doesn't actually look that hard to make
    You're right. If I can make one its a pretty good bet most anyone can! but you don't have to fiddle around, Davidson and Hart has them make, 'bout 60 bucks.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    You're right. If I can make one its a pretty good bet most anyone can! but you don't have to fiddle around, Davidson and Hart has them make, 'bout 60 bucks.

Bill
    Except I dont have a mill...maybe you didnt either? I might try doing it with some round bar and keystock. New idea! I actually just thought of that while I was typing is the bad part. Anyways, maybe a hard round steel shaft and find a key that would fit well. I can do quite a bit of metal removing with a grinder so a small amount of keystock would not be that hard to remove. I have alot of it laying around from .2-.75 I think. I dont know, just guessing. Might make it alot easier than trying to keep that action from turning with friction.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I use the Wheeler action wrench on stagger feed and center feed with no issues at all. It has a recess for the recoil lug,,I only screw the bolts down finger tight to utilize the recoil lugfor grip and leverage so there is no chance off twisting the action.How ever you will probably need the new style barrel nut wrench if th nut is smooth.
    +1, I have a Wheeler wrench and never had a problem with either receiver.

Basic Member

sizes on mine for reference

Basic Member
    It's pretty simple to modify the Wheeler action wrench to work perfect with the newer recoil lugs. I just used a round file and filed a groove in the action wrench where the recoil lug detent fits into the action. It works perfectly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12