Thread: mark II GL ammo question

mark II GL ammo question

Just became a savage owner with my purchase of a mark II GL. First time out i shot cci 40gr and had a few fail to ejects. Went home and cleaned out all and everything. Next time out to the range no issues with extraction but the groups were wider than anticipated.
    What ammo, in your direct experience, yields the best groups?
    Shooting 25 meters at paper targets in anticipation of attempting to use my savage for an appleseed. Cuttently, my iron sights are tech sights.
    Thanks for any help, and any other mark ii g pointers you my cast this way.
    :)

MidwesternMutt
    What works in other guns may not work in yours. Half the fun is getting there, so enjoy the ride as you shoot different brands to see which one your rifle prefers.
    My Mark I-GY gets shot by the kids for the sheer joy of hitting the 12 oz can of generic soda. I have never given the gun an official test. We normally shoot CCI SV and CCI Quiets. When we miss, it is probably us and not the gun. :D

Wise advice from "MidwesternMutt", the only way you will know what's accurate in your rifle is trying different brands and then stick with the one that's most accurate for your rifle.

Basic Member
    Definitely find what brand/type ammo your rifle likes best, each rifle is different. My BTVLSS loves CCI AR Tactical but hates any of the Federal Champion ammo.

What, if any, experiences do y'all have with the mark ii g and the use of short and long .22
    ammo?
    Thanks for the replies.

aquaticsanonymous
    Your inaccuracy could have been caused by cleaning. It should have tightened up after shooting some rounds though.

Fiddler
    As a fellow Savage Mark II GL owner, I'm willing to bet your extraction issues will come back. If you pester Savage customer service, they might send you a couple of C-clamp extractor springs. If you slip an extra one over the existing spring on the bolt, your extraction issues should be solved. I'm not sure what could be causing your accuracy problems. Once I got mine scoped, the thing turned out to be the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned. I did remove the action from the stock and sanded the inside of the forearm until it free-floated. Maybe that might help yours. Be sure to seal it with a coating of waterproofing or something in the sanded area. I also did the "trigger shim" modification featured in the Savage/Stevens sticky over at RimfireCentral.com.
    Now, my GL is a tackdriver that extracts and ejects almost 100% of the time. I guess I can live with it.

Fiddler,
    Thanks so much for the advice!
    It is always good to know us lefties are not alone!
    Will give savage c.s. a query soon as i get back home.
    I think i read on here savage sent someone else a new and different extractor as well. Cut, not stamped.
    Thanks again for the help.