Thread: Neck Turning? and Tools to use

Basic Member

Neck Turning? and Tools to use

Wanted to get some advice from the collective knowledge here (it's been great in the past). Have a new barrel on order (20 Tactical) that has a .230 neck - it is the barrel makers standard neck and I did not want the extra $ to buy a reamer, so am happy with this.

While waiting for the barrel, plan to get some Lapua/Dakota .20 Tactical brass in and some 39gr Sierra and 40gr Bergers. My question is with the tight chamber of the barrel is about turning the necks on the brass. Conversed with another member (Thanks Steve) he related that his loaded rounds are .2302 using the 40gr Berger and Dakota brass. So it would seem that I will be turning necks for the tight chamber (which is OK by me). Realize some do and other do not turn, but it would seem for the build I will have it will be needed.

So, what can you guys recommend as far a equipment to turn and what is actually needed? Have searched some here and on the net, the Sinclair, K&M and Forster seem to be quite popular. What I think I will need is the expander die and mandrel, the actual neck trimmer and mandrel for it, plus a case holder. Is that it?

How much would be taken off of the neck? .003 - .004 smaller than the .230 chamber, giving loaded round measurement of .227-.226? This should been done with any new brass BEFORE fireforming. Right now I have the Standard Redding die set (F/L and Seater).

Any thoughts advice always appreciated.

Basic Member

Re: New Barrel on order - Neck Turning

I use the Forster. The little plastic knob on the case holder rips my thumb up. I'm going to cut it off and weld a small "T" handle to it.

I turn the necks of my cases to .002" smaller than chamber size.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

I have one of the new Sinclair tools. It works great, far better than the older 1000 model Sinclair I used to use. Set up is easier on the new tool. I use the expander mandrel first in the mandrel die, then turn with the smaller turning mandrel. Very easy to use and get precise, repeatable cuts.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

Thanks guys!

Slim, did you get the 3000 Sinclair or the Premium model? The 3000 &#39;kit&#39; looks pretty good and is not that much more than the 1000. Easier sounds good.

Basic Member

Re: Tools for Neck Turning

Couple of additional ?&#39;s - it would seem that measuring the thickness of the neck wall after turning the necks is needed (Right?).

What tools do you guys use to do this? Calipers, micrometer, or one of the neck gagues like Sinclair or Redding offers?

Thanks

groupshooter22

Re: Neck Turning? and Tools to use

To measure neck thickness you would need a tubing micrometer. Or measure one with a bullet seated take your cut seat a bullet and measure.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    Couple of additional ?&#39;s - it would seem that measuring the thickness of the neck wall after turning the necks is needed (Right?).

What tools do you guys use to do this? Calipers, micrometer, or one of the neck gagues like Sinclair or Redding offers?

Thanks
    I generally measure the chamber neck by making a chamber cast or using small hole gages-mic especially on custom chambered barrels. I like to know exactly what I dealing with. Not I don&#39;t trust anybody, I just don&#39;t trust anybody! ;D One guy assured me the neck of a 250Imp pre-chambered barrel was a .285" when in fact it is a .283". I turn my brass for that one to a finished (bullet seated ) diameter of .281", .002" clearance.

Once I know the the chamber dimensions I can figure our the brass. To measure the neck walls I use a tubing or ball mic. Here is a whole herd of ways and tools to measure them. http://www.6mmbr.com/casenecktools.html

For turning small batches I use either a Sinclair or K&M. For larger quantities I use my small lathe.

Bill

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX

Thanks
    I generally measure the chamber neck by making a chamber cast or using small hole gages-mic especially on custom chambered barrels. I like to know exactly what I dealing with. Not I don&#39;t trust anybody, I just don&#39;t trust anybody! ;D One guy assured me the neck of a 250Imp pre-chambered barrel was a .285" when in fact it is a .283". I turn my brass for that one to a finished (bullet seated ) diameter of .281", .002" clearance.

Once I know the the chamber dimensions I can figure out the brass. To measure the neck walls I use a tubing or ball mic. Here is a whole herd of ways and tools to measure them. http://www.6mmbr.com/casenecktools.html

For turning small batches I use either a Sinclair or K&M. For larger quantities I use my small lathe.

Bill