Thread: Axis 270 scope 3-9 vs 4-12

pickerandsinger

Question Axis 270 scope 3-9 vs 4-12

First let me say I know nothing about scopes…The first one I ever owned is the Bushnell on the Axis I bought….That being said with all the bad press about the package scope that came with it(Bushnell) and the fact I have just came across a super deal on a Redfield 4-12 x 40 my question is as follows….Can I use this scope(Redfield 4-12) on distances less than say 200 yards….Can you sight it in at say, even 50 yards and have it effective to 100 or more….The scope I have now is a 3x9 Bushnell and I would really like the option of using the Redfield 4-12 beyond the 3x9 Bushnell "old eyes" syndrome capabilities…Or are the 4-12 x 40's only good for long range shooting and no good at shorter ranges…Thanks Dave

ebrown
    There are people on this forum who know roughly 748 times more about scopes than I do. But I'll jump in anyway.

The difference between 3-9 and 4-12 is one-third. Not huge If you look through the scope at something 50 yards away, and you change to the 4-12, it will look as though it were 35-40 yards away but clearer. By the way- all those numbers are approximate. My 3-9 Redfield revolution says it's actually something like 3.3 - 8.8. I don't remember exactly. The difference is not huge. If you buy that scope you're giving up field of view say under 60 yards, and getting a bigger picture from there to whatever your maximum range is. Personally I chose the 3-9 because I'm a hunter and I would be very careful about shooting beyond 150 yards. I hope to shoot at sixty or closer, and for that I want all the field of view I can get. The 2-7 is attractive to me for that reason. Choose the right magnification range first. Don't buy the wrong scope just cause you got a great deal.

You don't say what you want to use it for, or at what range, which makes it hard to give more specific advice.

Basic Member
    Pretty sure you would have a much better overall "optical" experience with the Redfield. From what I have heard they are solid scopes and provide good value for what you pay. And yes you can use the Redfield for hunting/shooting under 200 yds, I would think with 4x you could hunt probably down to 25yds without to much issue. Maybe some more experienced Hunters will chime in.

A 100yrd zero seems to be the favorite around here, but as EBrown stated we don't exactly what your application is. That would be helpful.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

pickerandsinger
    Quote Originally Posted by pickerandsinger View Post
    First let me say I know nothing about scopes…The first one I ever owned is the Bushnell on the Axis I bought….That being said with all the bad press about the package scope that came with it(Bushnell) and the fact I have just came across a super deal on a Redfield 4-12 x 40 my question is as follows….Can I use this scope(Redfield 4-12) on distances less than say 200 yards….Can you sight it in at say, even 50 yards and have it effective to 100 or more….The scope I have now is a 3x9 Bushnell and I would really like the option of using the Redfield 4-12 beyond the 3x9 Bushnell "old eyes" syndrome capabilities…Or are the 4-12 x 40's only good for long range shooting and no good at shorter ranges…Thanks Dave
    Thanks for the replies..Kinda new to this so I apologize for not being more specific….The scope will be used for both hunting and at the range…The range has only 100 yard capabilities and the hunting would be 50 to possibly 200 yards…( Adirondack mtns in upstate New York, and perhaps a few excursions to Northern Maine)….some pig hunting in Florida…Not ever being a "scope" guy I tried this Axis 270 with the Bushnell at the range and realized what I had been missing…So although the Bushnell is still operating properly with 40 rounds fired thru it, I am hooked on scopes and was looking to improve a good thing…LOL…Have to chuckle a bit as I remember years back, hunting with a large group of family members and about 12 of them had Model 99's and then they were 3 bolt actions, all Savage and not a scope to be had…Rarely anything over a one shot kill…Man those old timers could hunt…Daylight till dusk…Most days we never saw another hunter….Sorry just reminiscing…LOL…Thanks for the info...

Bottom line, the 4X12 will work nicely with your caliber rifle.

ebrown
    For general hunting, 4x12 and .270 is a pretty good match. If you sight about an inch and a half high at 100 yards you should be within two inches from the muzzle to around 200 yards, which makes it easy. I went from the 3x9 Nikon that came with the trophy hunter to the 3x9 Redfield Revolution and was surprised how much better the glass was. The Nikon is better than the Bushnell, which is probably better than any mid-priced scope of thirty years ago. Many eons ago when most scopes were fixed magnification, the most common by far was 4X.

pickerandsinger
    Thank you kindly for all the replies…..Dave

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'd go with the 4-12x.
    Come to think of it, I just did.
    I put a .270 together specifically for the hunting of hoglets and used a Vortex.

Enough power for a couple hundred yards, low enough to get up close & personal.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

bflee

Axis 270 scope 3-9 vs 4-12

Wrong post!

Edzzed
    Your rifle came with https://www.google.ca/#q=bushnell+sharpshooter+scope I had the same setup only I promptly swapped that scope out for a Bushnell Trophy XLT in 4-12x40 DOA. The stock scope retails on Ebay for 40.00 and that includes free shipping. Says a lot about what the scope is worth if they offer free shipping eh! With the new scope, I can hit a quarter at 100 yards and have not yet attempted 200 yards or more. I want to get better at shooting to 100 before I attempt that. In fact I have not ever pointed any rifle at any animal. When I do take that shot, I do not want to miss nor wound an animal. When I took my firearms course (Canada) the instructor told us when we buy a rifle don't cheap out on a scope. If you have a 1000 budget, Buy a 200.00 rifle and 800.00 scope. Don't buy an 800.00 rifle with a 200.00 scope. Glass makes all the difference. Did I follow that advice, Not really. My scope was 200.00 but I read for the money, Axis is a pretty accurate shooter so figured I'd be OK and am so far.

pickerandsinger
    Thank you gentlemen…I bought the Redfield Revolution 4 12 x 40 and mounted it and boresighted it….Used the Savage Leupold Medium 2 piece mounting bases and rings…They seem to be excellent fitting and no ejection problems … The field of view seems good to excellent…I'm heading out to the range in the next day or two to sight it in….Next project will perhaps be a trigger job…Thanks Dave

sounds like a nice setup!!!

pickerandsinger
    Really happy with it godale….I didn't make the range as planned so I did the trigger spring job, it now has 3 and 1/2 pull.….Will let you know more about the scope later this week when I sight it in at the Range….Thanks Dave

pickerandsinger
    Quote Originally Posted by pickerandsinger View Post
    Really happy with it godale….I didn't make the range as planned so I did the trigger spring job, it now has 3 and 1/2 pull.….Will let you know more about the scope later this week when I sight it in at the Range….Thanks Dave
    Update….Real happy with the scope….And everything else about this Axis 270….As the boys say its a nail driver…..