Thread: Want to build a .20-223AI...

Want to build a .20-223AI...

Hi there, new here and also new to the rifle building gig. I want to put together a .20 cal rifle for predator hunting and have pretty much decided to chamber in .20-223AI.

Having never "built" a rifle, I am listening to the advice and experience from some friends who have been through the whole process many times...204AI, 17TAC, 20TAC and .22-243AI are just a few of the rifles they have built and are running. I am trying to absorb the nuts and bolts of putting together a repeatable rifle. I believe most are built on the Remington 700 platform.

I believe I am going to start by taking a used Model 10 .243 I purchased and using it as a guinea pig, if you will. It shoots pretty well now but like most everything I feel there is room for improvement. I plan to have the action/bolt assembly trued and have it re-chambered into an ackley improved chamber as well as using a precision recoil lug. Also plan to re-stock by the factory stock with a bedding job.

My ignorance brings me to the question of whether or not the breech end of the barrel needs to be set back such as on a Remington in order to achieve proper head space? Is this as simple as reaming with a finish reamer and using go/no go gauges? I feel if you are truing everything else, it is worthy of having barrel threads single cut to the bore axis as well. I believe I already know the answer to that.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks, Dale

KRP
    You need a whole different barrel, which answers all of the questions in your last paragraph. No way to rechamber a .243 barrel to 20 caliber.

Basic Member
    a 20-223ack =.204ruger??? MARK25-06

Basic Member
    By the time you buy custom reamers and dies for very, very little-if any improvement over the factory 204 Ruger, you could just buy premium dies and brass(lapua), and lots of bullets for the 204 and be shooting in no time. Welcome to the forum!!!! Steve

Basic Member
    20-223 AI requires case prep and fire forming. You also have to work up both a fire forming load to get a supply of brass and then a load for the fire formed brass. Dies are going to be expensive. Sounds like a lot of work.

The 204 Ruger is a great small varmint round, the dies are cheap, shoots very flat, and recoil is light enough that you can spot your own shots in the field. The 39 gr Blitz Kings are my favorite bullet in 20 caliber.

Don't overlook the .223. The 223 is a little more versatile than the 204 and offers a better selection of bullets. Probably a slight accuracy edge over the 20 caliber due to the better selection of bullets.

Have fun with whatever direction you go in!

Keith