Hi there, new here and also new to the rifle building gig. I want to put together a .20 cal rifle for predator hunting and have pretty much decided to chamber in .20-223AI.

Having never "built" a rifle, I am listening to the advice and experience from some friends who have been through the whole process many times...204AI, 17TAC, 20TAC and .22-243AI are just a few of the rifles they have built and are running. I am trying to absorb the nuts and bolts of putting together a repeatable rifle. I believe most are built on the Remington 700 platform.

I believe I am going to start by taking a used Model 10 .243 I purchased and using it as a guinea pig, if you will. It shoots pretty well now but like most everything I feel there is room for improvement. I plan to have the action/bolt assembly trued and have it re-chambered into an ackley improved chamber as well as using a precision recoil lug. Also plan to re-stock by the factory stock with a bedding job.

My ignorance brings me to the question of whether or not the breech end of the barrel needs to be set back such as on a Remington in order to achieve proper head space? Is this as simple as reaming with a finish reamer and using go/no go gauges? I feel if you are truing everything else, it is worthy of having barrel threads single cut to the bore axis as well. I believe I already know the answer to that.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks, Dale