Thread: 30-06 Heavy Barrel/.308 conversion

jackwithcorona

30-06 Heavy Barrel/.308 conversion

Hey guys/gals.

I am new to this forum, and I have a quick question. I would like to take my Model 111 (center feed, blind magazine) 30-06 and place a bull barrel contour on it, however I cannot find anyone that makes one in the contour for 30-06. If there is a manufacturer that does this for a reasonable price, or a thread covering this, please let me know. I have searched Shaws, Brownells, Midway, etc...

Also, if this is easier, Could a get a .308 barrel and put it on instead? I understand that the feeding would not be as smooth, but I have seen a couple of people try this. What would be my best option? I really like this rifle but I want a larger contour barrel for both accuracy and asthetics.

Is the stock going to allow the bull contour?

Call Jim at Northlandshootersupply at 1-763-682-4296 and he will set you straight.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    I would agree. I called Jim and ordered a Shilen Select Match in 30-06 with the Varmint S7 contour. I originally wanted a bull contour but the S7 is very beefy and weighs about 7 lbs. It's plenty thick for any businesss you'd use the 30-06 for. I'd imagine the bull contour is significantly heavier.

jackwithcorona
    Ok thanks alot. I am glad to be getting somewhere. I appreciate you guys giving me some advice!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
    Ok thanks alot. I am glad to be getting somewhere. I appreciate you guys giving me some advice!
    Just in case you go the 308 route...308 in a long action savage works fine. Not really any feeding issues to speak of.