Thread: .270 savage question...

chadster73

.270 savage question...

I'm currently "transitioning" into the savage universe. I'm waiting to sell my howa-1500 so I can buy a savage. They've got the standard blued action w/tupperware stock and accutrigger-internal/box mag in .270 for $380.00 here at Walmart.
    Just wondering what kinda' accuracy you hunter types are getting w/a setup like this as well as what types of loads they seem to like? Eventually it'll become my project w/a stockade stock upgrade. Not happy w/my Howa... and thinking I can get better accuracy out of a savage. This will be used primarily for hunting antelope, mulies and elk on occasion, that's why I'm sticking w/.270... proven/legendary all around big game caliber since I live here in Utah! I will be paying for a subscription here in the upcoming weeks too! Thanks in advance...

ellobo

Re: .270 savage question...

Sounds like a good deal. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floating. Accuracy will increase as you break it in, but will be great out of the box. Make sure you have good glass. I suggest Burris rings with the inserts. Dont use a bipod with the tuperware, use some other kind of rest. .270 will do just about everything you want the rifle for, you dont need magnums although you will hear different. Handloads for the best accuracy or premium factory stuff. Come back with any questions, this forum has all the answers.

El Lobo

hangtime

I just picked up two stevens 200 rifles, one in 270 and another in 7-08. I have only shot the 270 as it is the only one I have set up yet. The rifle was $216 out the door. EGW 20 moa base was $40. Burris xtr medium rings $59. Millett golden buck 4-16x56 scope $160. After bore sighting and a little work at the range with cheep winchester 130 grain super x soft points I got this at 100 yards. That is 5 shots.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/trvmorrow/target.jpg[/img]

chadster73

Thanks for the info El Lobo! Hangtime... that's awesome, especially for "not the best" ammo. IF you ever get to handloading that should easily be a .5 MOA or beter rifle! How's the trigger on those Stevens... and do you have any plans for aftermarket on those?

Those targets show typical accuracy. As to the question about triggers, I've never bought an after market trigger. I just work on the factory ones until I can get it down to a safe 3-2 1/2LBs. On the tupperware stocks, I always dremmel or file down the inside edges of the barrel channel so that any reasonable amount of flexing will not contact the barrel.
    Kelly

I have a basic Savage 270, I think a 111 ???

Factory Ammo: Remmington 130 accu-bond, or Hornaday Light Mag 140 BTSP, both will shoot less than .300moa, when I get home, I will post the pictures of the targets.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

chadster73

Dennis... I'd love to see that! Man... I'm really starting to get the itch now!!!

Welcome to the forum chadster, I think you are making a good move, every .270 I ever owned would shoot at least one factory load well and handloading just made it better. The only Elk I ever killed was shot with a .270, 150 grain Nosler Partition, one shot down in his tracks.

Now you need to start collecting all the "stuff" to go along with the new Savage, like an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, a plethora of barrels, bolt handles, stocks, etc. etc....

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Chad, I will post them hopefully tonight!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]