Thread: Another Remage build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Another Remage build

A couple years ago, my wife and I were at my Mother In Laws when she said "I have something you may be interested in". She goes into her closet and comes out with a Remington 700 ADL in 7RM. Apparently my father in law, who is no longer with us, bought it to go elk hunting sometime in the mid 90s. She told me he sighted it in, went hunting that one trip, and it went into the closet where it sat until that day. I brought it home and stuck it in the gun cabinet, figuring I would fix it up one day. This past hunting season I passed a 400 yard shot on a huge whitetail, which put the idea in my head to build a long range hunting rig.

So... A new build thread is born. I started the build today by getting the barrel off of the action. Let me tell you guys, when the 800lb gorillas get too big to torque barrel nuts at Savage, they go get jobs at Remington where they are allowed to use cheater pipes. I honestly was afraid I was going to break something. In the end, I had to heat the action from the inside with a torch (a tip I learned from Scooter's thread...thanks) to finally get it off. Those threads were FULL of thread locker and rust. Next time I do this ill just hit it with the torch right away. The sporter contour barrel didn't help either, because my vise was only gripping a small portion of the barrel because of the taper. Even using the proper tools, I marred the action. I'll have to deal with that as part of the build. Now it's time to contemplate a parts list for this thing. Here are some shots from today.

Last edited by Boudin; 03-01-2015 at 02:18 AM.