Thread: Another Remage build

Basic Member

Another Remage build

A couple years ago, my wife and I were at my Mother In Laws when she said "I have something you may be interested in". She goes into her closet and comes out with a Remington 700 ADL in 7RM. Apparently my father in law, who is no longer with us, bought it to go elk hunting sometime in the mid 90s. She told me he sighted it in, went hunting that one trip, and it went into the closet where it sat until that day. I brought it home and stuck it in the gun cabinet, figuring I would fix it up one day. This past hunting season I passed a 400 yard shot on a huge whitetail, which put the idea in my head to build a long range hunting rig.

So... A new build thread is born. I started the build today by getting the barrel off of the action. Let me tell you guys, when the 800lb gorillas get too big to torque barrel nuts at Savage, they go get jobs at Remington where they are allowed to use cheater pipes. I honestly was afraid I was going to break something. In the end, I had to heat the action from the inside with a torch (a tip I learned from Scooter's thread...thanks) to finally get it off. Those threads were FULL of thread locker and rust. Next time I do this ill just hit it with the torch right away. The sporter contour barrel didn't help either, because my vise was only gripping a small portion of the barrel because of the taper. Even using the proper tools, I marred the action. I'll have to deal with that as part of the build. Now it's time to contemplate a parts list for this thing. Here are some shots from today.

Last edited by Boudin; 03-01-2015 at 02:18 AM.

Ahh.....wasnt that barrel removal just exhilarating Lol.... I look forward to seeing how it all turns out. What cartridge are you going to go with?
    Scooter

I'm interested in this too. I have an old .30-06 from this time period that needs similar treatment. It's the only rifle I have that I believe to be "shot out". I've been thinking about making it a .280 AI, or maybe another 30-06.
    You took some good photos. Keep it up, we'd like to see the outcome.

Its a pretty fun project or at least mine has been so far. Ill hopefully be able to put my first rounds down the barrel in the next week or 2.

Boudin, are you going to cut the notch in the receiver also?
    Barrelnut, I love my 06, but I recommend the 280AI . I really like mine no more than Ive been able to mess with it. Everyone knows the 06 has absolutely proven itself (and I doubt I'll ever be without one) but for the 280AI...you wont be disappointed.

Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

I noticed the marks on the receiver from the wrench. I found using rosin or my favorite nylon strapping shipping places use for skids. Cut 2 pieces to fit the wrench and torque it down. It will leave zero marks for future builds.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the tips. I should have used some Rosin in hindsight. It would have helped out on the vise grip as well. I never had the wrench leave marks on a Savage receiver, so I wasn't expecting that. Oh well, I can touch it up easy enough. It's going to be a hunter, not a safe queen.
    I'm going to stick with 7MM Rem Mag because I have a bunch of components already, and it's a good fit for how I want to use the rifle. As of now I'm thinking a B&C M-40 style stock and a light varmint weight barrel. I want something fairly stout to mitigate recoil, without being a total brick so I can pack it around hunting. It was an ADL in it's previous life, so I would have to purchase some bottom metal for it if I go that route. Hopefully I can find a pull-off floor plate setup from somewhere. I think I'm going to cut the notch in the receiver, although I'm not afraid to admit it scares me a bit. I have been looking at the alignment tools, but the price of this project is already spiraling out of control lol...

wingzero

Are you planning to cut/true the receiver face?

Here's how you can do it manually.
    http://www.realguns.com/articles/314.htm

Sounds like a plan! I used a straight edge centered along the action screws and made a pencil mark to the end of the receiver and used that as my guide. I know its not some fancy measuring or anything like that but it worked. Its not a big deal to cut the notch.....I was a little worried on mine at first though lol. Love a 7mag...excellent choice.
    Ive learned that cost spiraling out of control thing alot since joining this site lol
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post

Are you planning to cut/true the receiver face?

Here's how you can do it manually.
    http://www.realguns.com/articles/314.htm

That facing tool is awesome. Dang .... now you have me thinking.