Trouble with my bolt release.

I got the .308 Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP. I changed out the scope and rings on it, added a tripod, and a sling. Other then that, I took it out of the stock to lighten the accutrigger once, and another time to shave a bit off the cheap factory stock with a dremel because it was sitting a bit crooked near the front of the stock by the barrel. Close enough to touch the barrel with a little pressure. I didn't mess with anything else in there that I'm aware of.

The bolt release is the newer type that you have to pull the trigger, then the little button in front of the trigger guard, and then pull the bolt out. It's been working fine, for the most part, until yesterday. I took it out to do the Savage recommended barrel break in procedure. Obviously a lot of cleaning involved with doing that so I was taking the bolt out often. Part way through it just stopped working. I would pull the button and trigger back and the button would just stop before coming out. I could cycle the bolt and fire and the button would pop back forward. Whenever I tried to pull the bolt back it wouldn't work. Could only ever get it back as far as the normal cycling of the bolt. I haven't tried opening it up again. Anything specific to look for? I'm assuming whatever the button should be engaging it not doing so. Or should I just call Savage? Thoughts?