Thread: Bushing dies and honing?

TOO Builder

Bushing dies and honing?

I have been reloading for a few years now but always seem to need to learn more. I read with interest the article over on accurateshooters daily bulletin about the selecting bushing size and having a FL die honed.

I understand that having a bushing or FL die with the neck size too small will size the neck down more than it needs to thus overworking the brass but isn't it ultimately the size of the expander that will open the neck back up and determine neck tension on the loaded round?

In the article it talked about springback. I understand that when the case is ran into the die and the neck is sized down, the brass will springback or open slightly when the neck comes out of the bushing. In setting the dies up this way, with either selecting the correct bushing or having the FL die honed, are they NOT using an expander button?

I purchased my first Redding type S neck size die set for my 20 Vartarg. I use a .227 bushing to size the .221FB brass down. My loaded round measures .2285-.2290 with a 32gr Vmax. The expander measures .202. Now, if I selected a smaller bushing, lets say a .224, would that loaded round have more neck tension than the loaded round using the .227 bushing considering they both got pulled through the .202 expander?

I do notice that when seating bullets for the various calibers I reload for, some do seem to seat firmer than others. Ultimately I would like to learn how and what measurements to take to determine if I should be making some changes to my sizing dies. Thanks, TB

dcloco

Re: Bushing dies and honing?

Quote Originally Posted by TOO Builder
    I have been reloading for a few years now but always seem to need to learn more. I read with interest the article over on accurateshooters daily bulletin about the selecting bushing size and having a FL die honed.

I understand that having a bushing or FL die with the neck size too small will size the neck down more than it needs to thus overworking the brass but isn't it ultimately the size of the expander that will open the neck back up and determine neck tension on the loaded round?

In the article it talked about springback. I understand that when the case is ran into the die and the neck is sized down, the brass will springback or open slightly when the neck comes out of the bushing. In setting the dies up this way, with either selecting the correct bushing or having the FL die honed, are they NOT using an expander button?

I purchased my first Redding type S neck size die set for my 20 Vartarg. I use a .227 bushing to size the .221FB brass down. My loaded round measures .2285-.2290 with a 32gr Vmax. The expander measures .202. Now, if I selected a smaller bushing, lets say a .224, would that loaded round have more neck tension than the loaded round using the .227 bushing considering they both got pulled through the .202 expander?

I do notice that when seating bullets for the various calibers I reload for, some do seem to seat firmer than others. Ultimately I would like to learn how and what measurements to take to determine if I should be making some changes to my sizing dies. Thanks, TB
    Too - various with each brand of brass - the thickness of the neck. Even lot to lot varies.

For calibers that I reload for with bushing dies, I neck turn. Clean up 80-90% of the neck area and call it good.

Load a dummy round, measure the neck diameter, and select a bushing 0.002 to 0.003 smaller. Some brands of brass have more springback then others.

You are on the right track though...your 0.227 bushing is about right. Seems like 0.002" neck tension is the sweet spot.

For the auto loaders and high(er) recoiling rifles that are feeding from a mag or well, 0.002" might not cut the mustard.

Re: Bushing dies and honing?

I honed my Redding 6.5-.284 sizer to give me .002 neck tension. With the cost of Lapua brass I want to make sure I'm getting max case life. The only drawback would be if I tried to use cases with thinner necks I wouldn't get enough neck tension.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!