Thread: Leupold vx3

Basic Member

Leupold vx3

How dose a 1.75x6 vx3 do out to 400 or 500 yards. Im a moose and whitetail hunter and depending on where I hunt I can have a shot at spitting distance or across a field shot. My uncle showed me his older bushnell and he says it's better because of the silver reticle against a dark object, is any one aware if they still make the riticles like this?

Basic Member
    That's an awesome scope. Love mine at short range and in heavy cover. I'd want more power, though, for deer beyond 300. Elk might be a different matter.

Team Savage
    I like your choice. Glad to see your not being lured by the marketing hype saying you need a large objective "telescope" on top a hunting rifle to shoot deer size game.

IMO, the Leupold VX-3 and even the VX-2 model released several years ago have much better optic quality when compare to the Leupold VX-III and VX-II generation. I've never owned a VX-3 1.75-6, but the VX-3 2.5-8x36 and VX-2-7x33 CDS are my two favorite compact rifle scopes. They are also two of the lightest hunting scopes available today. And when compared side-by-side with a Bushnell, I believe you will find the Leupold has better eye relief and a more forgiving eye box. I have never found reticle contrast to be an issue during legal hunting hours with either a Bushnell scope or Leupold VX-3 and VX-2. And should you ever need it, warranty service and resale value are better with the Leupold in my experience. I also prefer the Leupold Alumina threaded and flip-up scope caps over the plastic slip-on type scope caps.
    Last edited by jpdown; 02-27-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I like your choice. Glad to see your not being lured by the marketing hype saying you need a large objective "telescope" on top a hunting rifle to shoot deer size game.

IMO, the Leupold VX-3 and even the VX-2 model released several years ago have much better optic quality when compare to the Leupold VX-III and VX-II generation. I've never owned a VX-3 1.75-6, but the VX-3 2.5-8x36 and VX-2-7x33 CDS are my two favorite compact rifle scopes. They are also two of the lightest hunting scopes available today. And when compared side-by-side with a Bushnell, I believe you will find the Leupold has better eye relief and a more forgiving eye box. I have never found reticle contrast to be an issue during legal hunting hours with either a Bushnell scope or Leupold VX-3 and VX-2. And should you ever need it, warranty service and resale value are better with the Leupold in my experience. I also prefer the Leupold Alumina threaded and flip-up scope caps over the plastic slip-on type scope caps.
    have u used a 1.75 to 6 up to 500 yards? I can't choose between this scope and the vx6 2x12 the vx6 seems to have almost the same field of view on the low end and a better high end but I'm paying double for the scope so if 12 on the high end isent needed I would save my self 600$ and 8oz. And I have had problem on reticle contrast on moose since arround here they are really dark coloured basicly black and u loose the crosshairs when it starts getting dark

Do you have a variable power scope that goes up to 6x already? If so go put a life-size deer target out at 500 or 600 yards (borrow one of the neighbors concrete ones if necessary, or a big piece of cardboard with a paper plate stapled to it marking the vitals) and look through the scope at 6x and see if it's good enough for ya.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I thought about that but the places where I shoot have 3feet of snow I guess I'm gana have to wait till it melts

For me, if I'm seriously considering shooting a deer at 500 yds, I'd take the 12x over the 6x everyday and twice on Sunday. Not sayin' it can't be done at 6x. Just that 12x makes it look like a deer, not a mouse. I'd also find a place to do some serious practice at that range, whatever scope you decide on, before deciding to pull the trigger on live game at that distance.
    I've never even laid eyes on a moose before, so I'm no help there. I'd probably still feel better with 12x at that range though.
    I just don't understand why people are resistant to higher powered scopes. They do cost and weigh a little more, and may be a little bigger. But to me, if you can deal with that, you get so much more capability with the higher powered optic. And you have the option, in your case, to turn it down to 2x! Doesn't get much lower than that, if you're hunting the thick stuff. It's a win-win with the 2-12 in my opinion.

By the way, is this going on the Xbolt? They're great rifles.
    Also, you mentioned the $600 price difference between the two scopes; be aware that since the 2-12 is a VX-6, you're also getting higher quality glass and better coatings. That's where the majority of the price difference comes in, not just higher magnification, but better performance all around.

Team Savage
    If you take the 6 power and divide it into 400 yards a deer would appear to be the same size as if it was standing 50 yards away with the naked eye. Could you hit a deer or moose in the boiler room every time at 50 yards with open sites? I would also take a look at the Leupold VX-R if reticle visibility seems to be the critical factor for where and what you hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    If you take the 6 power and divide it into 400 yards a deer would appear to be the same size as if it was standing 50 yards away with the naked eye. Could you hit a deer or moose in the boiler room every time at 50 yards with open sites? I would also take a look at the Leupold VX-R if reticle visibility seems to be the critical factor for where and what you hunt.
    I think you mean six power at 300 yds, not 400. And by that logic, the 12x makes him look like he's 25 yds away. Much better than 50 to me. I'll gladly take all the help I can get.

Team Savage
    Yep, I was using that fuzzy math. Thanks.

I have a VXR and VX3 and both are outstanding for hunting. My next Leupold will be 2-12 VX-6 on an all weather rifle.