Thread: Undecided on scope

Basic Member

Undecided on scope

Sorry... another post asking which scope. I've been doing some research and trying to figure out which direction to take. I have a savage model 111 in 25-06 on order and want to put some good glass on it. The gun will mainly be used for deer hunting with shots up to 250 maybe a little farther. I want my budget to be around $450. I've looked at the higher end Nikon Prostaffs and a few Monarchs, Leupold VX-2,and VX-3. I'm sure you guys can push me in a direction. I looked through a VX-2 4-14-=x50 and liked it but didn't get a chance to compare it to anything else. I also don't think I want a 50mm tube either. I have an older 3-9x40 Prostaff that has held up pretty well but heard the newer ones weren't quite as good. Can you guys recommend a scope and bases?

D.ID
    Honestly, if "250 maybe a little further" is all you need out of it: pick out the Nikon that fits your budget and have no fear.
    I have a $450 4-16x44 monarch that we use out past 1100 yards, no problem at all and a great value in that price range.
    Decent glass, perfect tracking and tough enough for what it is.

Basic Member
    Shopping for a scope will make your head explode...lol. Like D.ID said, the Monarch is a no-brainer at that price range. I'm a huge fan of the Warne Maxima bases and rings. Torque your scope down and forget about it.
    They are a tad heavy, because they are made of steel, but I'm willing to deal with a few ounces for that much durability.

I think Nikon's are a good value. I would take a Redfield or VX1 over the Prostaff and have the Leupold backing though!

I use the maxima rings and find them to be solid. However, Talley Lightweights are also a good option.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leaning more towards a VX-2 or VX-3 if I can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Romero14 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leaning more towards a VX-2 or VX-3 if I can afford it.
    Both are good choices.........you could split the difference and get a VXR. I love mine in all lighting conditions

Optic Zone has a discount of 9% off too