Thread: Anyone have pics of staggered vs centerfeed

C-grunt

Anyone have pics of staggered vs centerfeed

Before I order my stock for a Stevens .223 I just want to make sure I have a stagger feed magazine. The mag well is attached to the action but the spring rests on the bottom of the stock. So this is a staggered feed right? Sorry for the stupid question but I jst wanna make sure.

The rifle that mwroseberry has in his modified stock thread http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,31730.0.html is a staggered feed because it looks just like mine.

Thanks.

Basic Member

Re: Anyone have pics of staggered vs centerfeed

Yes, It is 100% stagger feed. The mag spring pushes off the bottom of the stock in a stagger feed set up.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

woosum

???maybe I'm wrong but, ...don't all the stevens 200's got the center line feed in them ??

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by woosum
    ???maybe I'm wrong but, ...don't all the stevens 200's got the center line feed in them ??
    Depends on the date of manufacture. . .
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

woosum

Cowboyarcher.....Were the older(first run) ones staggered , or are the newer ones coming out that way ??

Basic Member

I have a Stevens centerfeed and the magazine spring definitely push off the stock bottom. A stagger feed magazine is attached to the action. A centerfeed magazine will remain in the stock when the action is removed.
    Man and man's best friend. Still looking at the green side of sod

Basic Member

Yes. More detailed info should be on the site somewhere, but I don't know where.
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

The first run of Stevens were staggerfeed with the round rear action. They started slowly swapping over to centerfeed after they had already done it with all of the Savage line. For a couple years afterwards(and once in a while still) you could have still found a staggerfeed model on the shelf of the small gunshops that dont move guns as much. Just new-old stock.

All of the Savage and Stevens line is now being produced in centerfeed though.

If your magbox is attached to the action it is definately a staggerfeed. Your action screw spacing should also be 4.275".
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

C-grunt

Thanks guys!

Ski911

So is one better than the other? What are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other? I just bought a Stevens in .243 I think it is the newer center feed model. Thanks

Basic Member

The only downside to the newer centerfeeds (that I have found), is that it is a little tougher to find aftermarket stocks for them. If you have a nice laminate stock, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the medalists and Choates make them for both now, but it is tougher to find them from boyd's or elsewhere. Other than that I am 97% sure they are the same. Anyone else have other thoughts on downsides of one vs. the other????

warthog97

Theoretically the center feed is a smoother action than the stagger feed because the bullet is already parallel with the bore on the X and Y axises (it only needs to lift the bullet up, not lift up and move left or right and realign the cartridge). I don't have a stagger feed savage to compare to my center feed savage, but between my Turkish Mauser and center feed Savage, I don't feel the difference. I do find that the lips of the center feed make it a bit of a pain to load the gun. IMHO, the big advantage of the center feed system is that it isn't attached to the action, making the gun more modular, thus giving the Brotherhood of the Nut more options in future builds. For instance, I think it will make going from standard cartridges to belted magnums (and back) a little easier. Looking at my Mauser, to convert from 8mm Mauser to a belted magnum (say the 350 Rem mag), the feed rails would have to be opened up to allow belted case to feed. I assume (dangerous, I know), that the stagger feed Savages are similar in this regard? If so, forget about ever going back to the 8mm case because the feed rails are now too wide. With the center feed savage, you can swap the box. Anyway, that's my two cents.

-warthog97