Thread: New Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP owner

rcastro474

New Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP owner

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the whole bolt gun scene and I just purchased a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in .270 WIN. I was curious what options were out there for after market stocks? I know it uses a bottom bolt release and from some research is long action. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

By virtue of being a .270 it is a long action.

Lots of options depending on what you want to do with it. Some like thumb through stocks, some don't. Some like "plastic" to beat up out in the woods. Really need to know what your thinking to give any decent recommendations otherwise your just getting random opinions that may not help you at all.

Something to get you started:
    Midway
    Tactical-Works
    Boyds (they have many colors of laminated inexpensive stocks too)
    Choate
    Amazon

Just eye candy, not recommending any of them.
    Last edited by flyingfrog509; 02-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.

rcastro474
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfrog509 View Post
    By virtue of being a .270 it is a long action.

Lots of options depending on what you want to do with it. Some like thumb through stocks, some don't. Some like "plastic" to beat up out in the woods. Really need to know what your thinking to give any decent recommendations otherwise your just getting random opinions that may not help you at all.

Something to get you started:
    Midway
    Tactical-Works
    Boyds (they have many colors of laminated inexpensive stocks too)
    Choate
    Amazon

Just eye candy, not recommending any of them.
    I am looking to use the gun for hunting so weight is important but I also dont like thr flimsy plastic one that it comes with.

rcastro474
    Im liking the look of the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, does anyone have any experience using it?

Basic Member
    Yep, used to be called the Tacticool. Very popular here.

rcastro474
    It doesnt add too much weight to the gun?

Basic Member
    It isn't light. But it's usually used with tactical-type setups. I put it on a 26" varmint model 12, a Hog Hunter .308 and also made a few pseudo-target rifles in .260, 6BR and .260AI, all with varmint barrels. I would not consider any of them good deer hunting set-ups if that's what you're after.

Boyds doesn't offer stocks for the Trophy Hunter's (Axis-style magazine w/retention integrated into stock). To use one you'd need to either convert to a blind magazine ($0 additional cost) or convert to the metal bottom metal found on the higher end Savage DBM models ($160 or so additional parts cost).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Toyoda
    I have a hogue stock on my 25/06 and really like it for a hunting setup. I didn't get the aluminum bedding in the stock, didn't have the funds.

jsmith
    I also just bought a TH XP but in 223 with the short action and wanted Boyd's stock. I had purchased a Boyd's for another rifle and love it. For a $100 stock, you can't go wrong. Took a lot of research, but I finally found the part numbers needed for the bottom metal. Ended up costing me $138 for the metal trigger guard, metal frame, and metal magazine bottom cap with shipping from Savage. I'd suggest calling Savage if you can't find the part numbers for the long action.

I'm still waiting on the bottom metal and stock, though. I'll let you how it goes when everything arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Boyds doesn't offer stocks for the Trophy Hunter's (Axis-style magazine w/retention integrated into stock). To use one you'd need to either convert to a blind magazine ($0 additional cost) or convert to the metal bottom metal found on the higher end Savage DBM models ($160 or so additional parts cost).
    If your Trophy Hunter has the removable plastic bottom plate, it will work with the Boyd's inletting without modification, at least on the bottom bolt release action I have. My 6.5 WSM is currently using the TH plastic until the metal surround arrives, and it uses the Axis style magazines for now.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

280longshot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If your Trophy Hunter has the removable plastic bottom plate, it will work with the Boyd's inletting without modification, at least on the bottom bolt release action I have. My 6.5 WSM is currently using the TH plastic until the metal surround arrives, and it uses the Axis style magazines for now.
    Some good information here... and to not highjack the current topic, I have some questions about this topic also.
    I currently have the model 10 trophy hunter... and my bottom plastic cracked but I'm wanting to replace with the bottom metal.
    Question 1-Where do I find the bottom metal with detachable mag.
    Question 2- I want to convert to a youth stock during youth rifle... what are my options in stocks?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 280longshot; 03-29-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Order directly from Savage if you can't find one elsewhere.
    Short action:
    SA Matte part number 107605 for bottom bolt release
    SA Matte part number 106238 for top release

Long action:
    LA Matte part number 105857 for top bolt release
    LA Matte part number 106706 for bottom bolt release
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-29-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

280longshot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Order directly from Savage if you can't find one elsewhere.
    Short action:
    SA Matte part number 107605 for bottom bolt release
    SA Matte part number 106238 for top release

Long action:
    LA Matte part number 105857 for top bolt release
    LA Matte part number 106706 for bottom bolt release
    Thanks