Thread: Just Joined Need a little Help

Jr's Savage

Just Joined Need a little Help

So I've had my Model 24 22 WMR / .410 since 1965 (kind of) my Grandfather purchased it for me the day I was born and then I shot it for the first time when I was 5, at least that's what I have been told.

My question is

After a lot of research to identify my gun I read that there should be a circle with numbers and letters to identify model, year of mfg. My dilemma is, the only markings similar is the circle on the left side next to trigger but it only has 3 numbers and no letters.

i also read somewhere else that identification numbers are also sometimes under the butt plate. I haven't fired the gun in in close to 40 years and it is in what I call almost near new condition. My grandfather got me a .20 ga when I was 10 and then I joined the USMC when 17 and it was in a closet at my moms house until last year.

any help with model # will be appreciated. I'm hoping that the .22 mag/ .410 may be able to track at least something or there was a year that they only put numbers in the circle.

TIA

Does it have a serial number?
    Savage- "never say never".

Jr's Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Does it have a serial number?
    No serial number.

Where was it made? Chicopee, MA or Westfield, MA?
    Straight or Monte Carlo comb on the buttstock?
    Any checkering on the forearm?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Jr's Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Where was it made? Chicopee, MA or Westfield, MA?
    Straight or Monte Carlo comb on the buttstock?
    Any checkering on the forearm?
    Chicopee Falls
    straight stock
    no checkering
    no engraving

Well, it's sure not a 1965 gun if it was made in Chicopee because they moved to Westfield in 1960.

Best bet would be to take the buttstock off and look around on the frame, the date code should also be struck somewhere on it if you can't find it on the outside.

Jr's Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Well, it's sure not a 1965 gun if it was made in Chicopee because they moved to Westfield in 1960.

Best bet would be to take the buttstock off and look around on the frame, the date code should also be struck somewhere on it if you can't find it on the outside.
    yeah, my grandfather could have purchased it at anytime. It was brand new in the box when he finally gave it to me. My father still has the old 8mm reel video that shows me opening it in 1969 Xmas right before my 5th birthday. Since he lived in a small up state NY farming community that had a all in one store it could have been new old stock.

at least I am getting somewhere by knowing when Savage moved.

i read different things about the numbers being under the but stock but I didn't want to remove it. I'll have to reconsider that.

Thanks for the insight.

Is there a chance they would have used a barrel stamped Chicopee because they had stock?

Most likely it's a 24M which was offered in .22 WMR over .410 or 20ga. The standard 22LR versions were just known as the Model 24. In the early 60's they started offering a fancier model in the 24DL and 24MDL as well which had the select walnut Monte Carlo stock, game scenes on the sides of the frame, and forearm checkering.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Jr's Savage
    Ok gents, I found the answer.

this entire time I've been focused on the outside of the shotgun. Today I got my magnifying glass out and went to hunting. I started from about midway of the barrel and worked my way towards the butt, both sides. I have never opened the breach to look figuring what I read on some of the other sites as I googled my way down the list.

as I stated earlier, I was concentrating on a circle with three numbers in it on the left side of the outside frame.

on the inside stamped on the barrel I found a 17L which if google is correct was mfgd in 1960. I don't know what the other designations are but I found the answer.

i appreciate all of the tips and any research any of you may have done. I own more newer Savages. Never thought there would be a forum for Savage so like it or not I'll be here to stay

Yep, L would be 1960, must have been a barrel made at Chicopee and then brought over to the Westfield plant when they moved.