Thread: Noob here from NC

Noob here from NC

I recently bought a Savage 12 BVSS in .308 and a Benchrest in .308 also. I've bedded both actions with Devcon , first try , and the results are attached along with some other pictures. I do have a question about the bore . It looks like the edge of a file at the muzzle and i'm trying to understand the button rifling process. These are my first ever bolt guns and i'm really looking forward to getting into shooting them . See you guys around .
    Thx !

(I'll try tapatalk to attach pictures , not having any luck here )

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

I would contact Savage about that barrel as it's definitely not as it should be.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Noob here from NC

Basic Member
    Newby here, so be warned, you get what you paid for. I'm not sure I can offer any help, but I first wanted to ask a couple of question, if you don't mind. What did you use to get those GREAT photos!? I can't see that kind of detail with my borescope!! Also, what type of Devcon did you use. I'll be needing to do the same to my BVSS as it shoots like a shotgun as the barrel warms up.

I am new to target shooting/reloading and made the mistake of over cleaning my new Savage a while back. I wore out a brand new bronze brush using K2 bore polish trying to get fouling out of the barrel, and in doing so I pushed the brush all the way out of muzzle and pulled it back in again for about 200 stokes. That earth tremor you just felt was probably 100 or so readers fainting

Sometime later I took a good look at the crown and noticed some rough edges at the bore exit, similar to your photos, but maybe not as bad. Hard to tell with just a photo. About that time a friend and I were discussing shooting accuracy and he mentioned polishing the target crown on his rifle and seeing a marked improvement in groups, so I decided to give it a try.

That one was a magnitude 6.5

I happened to have a flush rivet set about 1/2 inch in diameter that would fit my drill. A rivet set is made of tough steel, very flat and polished. I sprayed it with 3M 77 adhesive, and likewise some 1000 grit wet/dry paper, stuck them together and mounted it in my drill. I put a drop of WD-40 on sandpaper and used it to gently polish the target crown, spinning it about 500 rpm. After repeating this twice, I then wiped the sandpaper dry and rubbed polishing rouge onto the sandpaper, using it to do a final polish at a higher rpm. This took all the scratches out as well as sharpening the crown edges at the bore exit and polishing it to a mirror shine.

Shot my best groups ever, under 1/8 MOA my next trip to the range, but can't be sure how much the polish job was responsible. Not exactly a scientific test, but the fouling pattern at the muzzle exit is picture perfect now, a good sign that the bullet is exiting the barrel as cleanly as possible.

Lesson learned, I only use a bore mop now, and never draw it back into the bore from the muzzle end.

Your mileage may vary.

Actually both rifles are shooting just fine . To me the barrels aren't really crowned compared to what i'm used to seeing . That's not a big deal to me either way . I'm just curious as to how the button works in the rifling . I din't see how you can have the tool marks perpendicular to the bore . I'm not trolling this forum or i wouldn't have paid to be a member . I'm using a Samsung note3 for my camera BTW . I'll see if i can post a picture . I'm shooting left handed now after just finding out about the left eye dominant thing. I've been a pistol and AR shooter up until now .

Thanks !