Thread: Barrel for 260 Rem Improved 40^ on model 12 Varmint Low Profile

Barrel for 260 Rem Improved 40^ on model 12 Varmint Low Profile

Hi All,

Bought a 12 VLP in 308 to make a 260 Rem Improved 40^. Plan for it to be my LR Antelope, Coyote, Wolf, Deer rifle, and backup to the 300WM LR Rifle I'm also working on (in load development but that is another subj). Rifle has the Varmint profile barrel, plan to stick with that profile, thinking 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist, 26" or maybe 28", no muzzle brake. Plan to start with Hdy 140 Amax, Berger 140VLD Match Hunting, and maybe Nosler 140ABs. See The Criterion Bbls are available with "match" chamber, curious about that. If you have "been there, done that" sure would like to hear from you, thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Trapper458

Team Savage
    I put together a gun for my local 600 yard league with a Criterion 260AI Match. It's early still but it looks like it shoots well enough I should be in the running for some wood. Fireforming some brass last week I shot a .650" 15 round group at 100 yards and my match load shoots regularly in the high 3's for 5 shots. I think it's fully capable of a clean 200 but I'm new to bench shooting and still learning how to shoot sitting up. I also had a Criterion 260 Match that shot very well. Both my usual 123gr and 140gr loads shot under half an inch with 5 shot groups. I regret selling the barrel but I wanted the money to finish a Remage build that's getting a Criterion 260 Match. I'd look at the Criterion 26" varmint contour with 260 or 260AI match chamber. All 3 of my Criterions have shot better than 2 Shilen's and a Pac-Nor I've had, all in 260 or 260AI. That's my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    do the 8T.......that way your bases are covered.....so to say...

especially when Nosler gets the new 142 LRAB built.....
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper458 View Post
    Hi All,

Bought a 12 VLP in 308 to make a 260 Rem Improved 40^. Plan for it to be my LR Antelope, Coyote, Wolf, Deer rifle, and backup to the 300WM LR Rifle I'm also working on (in load development but that is another subj). Rifle has the Varmint profile barrel, plan to stick with that profile, thinking 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist, 26" or maybe 28", no muzzle brake. Plan to start with Hdy 140 Amax, Berger 140VLD Match Hunting, and maybe Nosler 140ABs. See The Criterion Bbls are available with "match" chamber, curious about that. If you have "been there, done that" sure would like to hear from you, thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Trapper458
    Feel free to shoot me an email at contact@criterionbarrels.com if you're interested in taking a look at the reamer print for that cartridge. I'd be happy to send it your way!

Thanks everyone for the input, ordered a 26",Varmint Contour, 260AI/match, 1:8, Criterion bbl from Jim at NSS. Also went for the recoil lug, barrel nut, barrel wrench and action wrench. Will give it a try, now the waiting.......

Regards,
    Trapper458