Thread: Worthless piece of crap Savage 99's!!!!

Worthless piece of crap Savage 99's!!!!

Every now and then Outdoor Life Magazine offers a free preview of some of their older magazines online to entice people to digitally subscribe (if you do, you get access to every issue they have ever printed online). Right now they have the February 1915 issue free to browse and while looking through it I found this and thought it was worth sharing.

Now I have two 99's with the lever safety, and while I've yet to have a chance to shoot either yet I'm having a hard time picturing how this guy could experience this same issue on "a few dozen" different 99's - in fact the only way I think it could happen that frequently would be through operator error. Both of mine feel a bit gummy in actuation (both probably need a good internal cleaning after 90 and 59 years), and being left-handed I can't really duplicate his second finger hitting the safety lever and causing it comment.

So has anyone ever experienced or even heard of this before? If nothing else it will be a good laugh and conversation starter. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Never heard of that happening yet, seems like the guy was just bored and figured he'd write something up.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Well the world is full of idiots and some eeak out a living by writing.
    I guess sooner or later they run out of worth while things to talk about.
    Im old enough to remember the 99 Savage being a very popular rifle among PA deer hunters.
    Both my father and brother had 99s as did several others in the group that we hunted with.
    I dont remember hearing about any saftey issues or any other issues with them.

Hey Joe, I think I found a little Savage something-something you probably don't have in your collection.

Press release from the December 1902 issue of Outdoor Life

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

WOW I want a hammer like that!
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Basic Member
    ^^^This is why they invented Nail guns!

I have owned quite a few of the early 99's in my life and I can say I like the tang safety however what this guy is saying sounds like he ordered too many heroin kits from sears and roebuck. He is just an overpaid journalist who makes up his own facts because someone at savage probably made him mad because he didn't get something free for writing something positive. It happened a lot back in those days,there was no oversight.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

To clarify, this is from the mail-in section of the magazine, not an editorial. In other words, it's some Canadian from British Columbia with the initials J.E.H. who wrote in to the Editor and made the statements, not the magazine editor or any of it's writers. The Editor is the one who provided the answer.

I only have one problem. We need more of this kind of post.

I really enjoyed the read. Riflemen never change.

Maybe some competing gun company employee or just a cranky old idgit of the day missing his single shot & not dealing well with a hight tech modern rifle. I can't remember anyone not loving a Savage 99. IMHO they are the finest lever action ever made & Savage was very innovative even then with the chamberings they offered them in.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]