Thread: Good deal?

adp12345

Good deal?

Hello everyone, new member here.I have posted in the new member section allready.My question is I have the chance to buy a used model 10fp 308 accutrigger 24in barrel and blind mag.It is a used gun and seems to be in good shape and comes with a cheap konus pro optic.The price is 410.00.This would be my first center fire savage good deal or no? Thanks in advance for yalls advice.

Basic Member
    A year ago I'd have said offer less, but it seems used prices have been going up on 10/110's.

It's certainly a fair price. if you want a heavy barrel of longer length. If you might want a shorter barrel, a new Hog Hunter is about the same rifle and is $428 shipped from Buds, and that's probably the best deal out there right now, in my opinion.

adp12345
    Thanks for the advice.I was always of the thought longer barrel more velocity =s better.I have a 26in 243 I am playing with now and I really would like another gun to shoot while the barrel cools......lol that's what I tell my wife at least.I will Def look into the hog hunter.My land I shoot at has a max range of 800 yards but my skill level isn't anywhere near 800 yards lol.Thanks again

Basic Member
    Longer barrel does mean more velocity. However, .308 would not be my first choice for long range (600+), and the .308 does very well with a shorter barrel. Therefore, I made my short range / short barrel a .308 and set up my 260 and 25-06 and 6 BR, etc. for long range.

Having said that, I never get a chance to shoot long range, so what I say about it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Berger.Fan222
    .308 is a lower speed cartridge as it is, and imho, it really needs at least 24" barrel unless you are committed more to short range use (as the hog hunter). A general purpose .308 should be 24-26" long for improved ballistics at medium ranges.

adp12345
    I thought about if I got the gun I could play with it till the funds allowed for a 260 or 6.5cm conversion.It might be smart to just save a little while longer and just start off with the 260 or 6.5cm.Decisions decisions lol

Get it!!

Basic Member
    Have you shot it or buying sight unseen and unfired by you?

Frankly, I have been burned a few times over the internet and rifles and will now only purchase NIB. I don't think it is worth the disappointment, aggravation (and cost to fix the issues[s]).

adp12345
    The rifle is at a local gun store.I have bought guns from them before and they have always been ok.......but I know Murphy can always show up at anytime.This would be my first savage center fire and I can't really find another model 10 like this one online to compare prices.I knew that if anybody would know if it were a fair price yall would.Buying used is always a gamble I guess.

Basic Member
    I wouldnt be without a 308 for practice shooting at rocks out to at least 1000 yds.
    Especially if its got a little heavier barrel id buy it.

The .308 is slower alright however if you run the 110 vmax bullet it will be a great varmint or deer killer.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

adp12345
    Well guys after all yalls help I waited a day to long and someone had already bought it when I went after work to buy it!!! Well thats what I get for dragging tail.Thanks for all the help guys I am on the hunt as we speak