Thread: ATF proposed ban ?

maxl

ATF proposed ban ?

I see on wiedners site a large increase in .556 62g green tip ammo, with a caption saying it may be the last 62 grain due to proposed atf ban on green tips anyone hear about this? I personally dont use it, but know people that do. Just as things start to settle down our big brother feels the need to start the panic buying again.

Twinsen
    Oh yeah, it's real. The ATF comment period is out. The NRA is aware.

The ATF is doing it because they say it is a pistol cartridge and it is armor piercing. So there's no reason to think their plan is anything but to ban rifle ammunition, starting with 223.

To give ATF comment (the official way to oppose the ban):

• ATF website: APAComments@atf.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
    • Fax: (202) 648-9741.
    • Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

I contacted my federal representatives. Although one is McCain so .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    Oh yeah, it's real. The ATF comment period is out. The NRA is aware.

The ATF is doing it because they say it is a pistol cartridge and it is armor piercing. So there's no reason to think their plan is anything but to ban rifle ammunition, starting with 223.

To give ATF comment (the official way to oppose the ban):

• ATF website: APAComments@atf.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
    • Fax: (202) 648-9741.
    • Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

I contacted my federal representatives. Although one is McCain so .

yep, i have done the same and yes, McCain is one along with Flake(i wonder about the 2).

i see more people talking about this ban and fewer talking about the action they have taken! uuuummmm, what's up with that?

Bruce

maxl
    My concern is the panic buying that this is causing with 223/556 ammo.I read on ar15.com cheaper than dirt raised there price of 62g greentips from 339 per thousand to over 800, will these panics ever end ?

The panics will not end, I bought a few months ago and am resisting the urge to double my money...

It is not gouging, it is supply and (retard) demand, and I am an opportunist.

thru the years, Ive purchased several thousand pulled 62gr green tip for the sake of reloading for my 223 gas guns at a cheaper cost. sure it was fun seeing the amount of penetration the projectiles can achieve including blowing holes thru some of my targets therefore causing me to fire up my welder to plug the holes.(what was i thinking) even tried to blow some rounds thru military chest protector to see what gives....(didnt penetrate) ....sure the wow factor is very "wow".
    The pulled SS109,s (green tip) are affordable and fun to use as components for reloaders, there actually not all that bad as far accuracy considering there being used on gas guns.
    I can see where the ATF shows concern over the consumer having these projectiles at there disposal. these projectiles either in factory or home rolled form are lethal. Alls it takes is a crazy POS! fool to use them for the wrong situation and spoil it for everybody.
    Ive been waiting for years to see big brother show caution on these projectiles and here it is.
    I actually took the time to cut one of the SS109,s in half (pain in the a**) and see just how much steel as opposed to lead is used. From the tip to just past mid point is hard steel, the rest is lead for weight.....these things are bad news.
    Ive since stopped using them.....the wow factors is no longer a ...wow...and I got tired of fixing my metal target swingers...lolololo
    might have to consider taking Digduggies approach on all that I have left either loaded or in pill form......."opportunist you say"?...hmmm
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Twinsen
    The effect on soft tissue is pretty pathetic though. That's why they don't use them anymore.

Marketing........its a funny thing.
    Load some SS109,s up.....Call them... "THE PENETRATORS"....OR....."TOTAL LETHALITY"...OR....My favorite.............wait for it......................... " ZOMBIE KILLERS"
    Put a full pop retail price on them and watch them fly off the shelves.

this opportunist thing just sounds better and better digduggy.............hmmm?
    {John Wayne}

doshoot2
    wiedners site is out of stock Lol

maxl
    Of coarse there out of stock, every retailer in the country is out of stock. The question is what will this panic consume, every primer, every ounce of powder and every bullet. All it is going to take is some nut job going on a killing spree along with this atf ruling and we won't see ammo or reloading supplies for a couple more yrs.

Basic Member

While shooting at our local civilian/military range. Ive taken notice to just how much ammo is sold at that range. I couldnt help but to notice just how much there cash register rings...wow.
    Wont go into detail but I was taken back as to how much $$$ the range is taking in by shear ignorance from the consumer. By ignorance i simple mean... "not knowing or being aware of" with no disrespect to there customers/members.
    The price tag on there self defense~M-855~shock wave~super kill-em twice ammo~double-tap etc.... is inflated to no end. Ive sat and watched customers/members pay top dollar for ammo just to watch them punch holes in paper......oh well, to each there own. hey?...if you got the money?.....go for it....I guess?
    {John Wayne}

That's not unusual at ranges with an onsite store, in fact - that's the whole point of having the onsite store. It's no different than how/why companies pay big bucks to have their product placed in the checkout lanes - it's a guaranteed high traffic area and its the primo location to capitalize on impulsive purchases which means you can put a higher mark-up on everything to get a higher profit margin.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain