Thread: planning to start my first build

wkillette

planning to start my first build

I have been looking to purchase a long range rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag. I don't shoot it often and have considered selling it. Based on a coworkers comment I am thinking of converting it to 6.5 creedmoor for the long range gun (1k yards) and hunting (300 to 400 yards). But more of a focus on long range. Here are the specs on the rifle.

Model 110 FXP - one place says it is a walmart package gun like the GXP. I have looked up the replacement barrel number in 7MMRM to try to determine the thread/shank size. It shows BBL 7MMRM/24 SP P/N 100006.

I want to use a bull barrel, but not a bench rest barrel. I want to use the same stock, but unsure if I can. I am OK replacing the stock if needed, but don't want to spend too much (would rather put the money in the scope). I also thinking I will have to replace modify the mag as well.

What advice do you have on parts I would need. I am looking for a good barrel, but not the high dollar match barrels.

My questions are mainly barrel including shank size, stock suggestions, mag mods. I am assuming I can use the same bolt.

Thanks in advance.

Team Savage
    You can build a long range 6.5 Creedmore rifle with of your current Savage 110 platform. It is a long action receiver that accepts Savage Pre-fit small shank barrels. Lots of members use LA receivers with SA cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmore. This allows you to seat 6.5mm 140 gr bullets long. You will also have to change out the magnum bolt head to a .473 face bolt head. Gun Shack stocks these bolt heads and a bolt face kit. Is the magazine attached to the action (staggerfeed) or is it attached to stock (centerfeed) when you remove it? If it is a cheap Savage factory tupperware stock, then you will most likely need to replace it with a better stock to get the consistent LR accuracy you desire. I suggest looking at a Boyd's Gunstocks for a replacement. A bull barrel is going to make for one heavy rifle, so you won't enjoy packing it around much for hunting. I would give Jim a call at Northland Shooters Supply. He usually has 26" CBI and Shilen varmint and some bull contour barrels in stock. He also stocks excellent aftermarket recoil lugs and barrel nuts and other Savage parts you may need or want. If you have an Accutrigger, I would also get a target/varmint Accutrigger spring so you can adjust it down to a 1.5# pull.

If you become a paid member, you will have access to the classified section and the ability to sell those take-off parts (bolt head, 7mm RM barrel) to other members. Welcome to the best source of information for your first DIY Savage build.

Basic Member
    All of above, plus, I'd also suggest checking out Apache Gun Works. http://apachegunworks.com/

Jim is also a good guy, has a good story and does great work with less than high end blanks. His theory is, if the gunsmith chambering the barrel treats the less expensive barrels like they are "top-shelf" they can be made to shoot better than factory for less cost than others. They might not clean with one or two patches like a well lapped high end barrel you'd want for serious competition, but they certainly will shoot. Of course, he does offer match-quality barrels as well.

Just another option.

wkillette
    I should have not said bull barrel, I want a little more than the standard hunting rifle and less than a bench rest barrel. The mag is attached to the action (stagger feed). I took the stock off tonight, it amazed me how weak it seemed, so I guess I will be getting a new stock as well.

Basic Member
    Again, for inexpensive wood stocks, Boyds. Can't beat the price. If you want a better synthetic stock... maybe look at Stocky's. I don't know b/c I own far too many Savages to be able to afford anything but Boyds ( of many varieties) and have been very happy with every one of them.

D.ID
    Your stock matters. Not more than your scope but not less either.
    They are links in one big chain. If any one link is not up to it....... all the rest will fall along with it and performance will suffer.
    Choate tac stock and a Apache GW varmint barrel makes a nice balance of price and performance.
    CBI, Shilen or Mcgowen run a little more but are great barrel options also.
    If you reload: Since your running a long action anyway you should also look into the 6.5x55 sweed.