Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAVAGE and BHW chosen for 6.5 CREEDMOOR build

Basic Member

Its Back: SAVAGE and BHW chosen for 6.5 CREEDMOOR build

(Yes, this is old, but it isn't dead. I've begun updating this again)

Hello, I think this is my first post.

I am putting together my first custom bolt action build. Custom might not be the right word for this.

This rifle is starting with the following intentions in this order of priority:

1. Sub-1/2-MOA precision
    2. Long Range precision, out to 1000 yds and possibly beyond.
    3. Reduced recoil, compared to 308.
    4. Better ballistic trajectories than 308 out to 1000 and preferably beyond.
    5. Short enough barrel to fit the full rifle into a 42” rifle case (Plano, Pelican)
    6. Long Range hunting capable in most states (some restrict caliber to .250 and over)

I stressed over caliber selection for about 6 months…while waiting for just the right time to order the barrel.

In goal #2, I mention long range precision. Given just the right load, you can shoot a 223 bolt gun out to 1000 yards…supersonic. However, wind calls become very important. It is on the edge of sub-sonic. Velocity variance due to reloading practices can cause vertical stringing.

I almost went with 6mm/6.5 Grendel (243LBC/264LBC), but…the 6/6.5G certainly doesn’t have better ballistics than 308 out to 1000. I use the 243/264 interchangeably, as they are very similar. Very light recoil, cheap on powder, and…both use MOA corrections up in the 30’s out to 1000 yards. (this paragraph is not well written, but hopefully the point gets across)

I decided to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. (I might have gone with the 6mm Creedmoor, and given up on goal #6 above…but, BHW didn't chamber in 6.0C and 6.0C brass was not available at the time of the barrel order - 22 JAN 15…thank you Shot Show discount)

6.5 Creedmoor (6.5C) fits all the caliber goals above. It doesn’t have a huge amount of a reduced recoil compared to 308, but will do just fine.

Thanks for reading.
    -PB

Basic Member
    Welcome, I suppose.

You've been a member for over 2 years and this is your first post?!

I don't know how you've managed to hold your tongue all this time! :)

Sounds and looks good. Keep us posted.

Basic Member
    Well theres always the brake option to reduce recoil. I hear ross schuler is awesome.

The creedmoor is an excellent choice few come close to the benifits she gives.

Basic Member
    This will be the third savage bolt action in the house so far. (fourth if you count the MkII)

Mine is a 10TR, 24" 308. My eldest just got an 11 THXP in 223, in a boyds thumbhole stock for his 13th bday.

This CREEDMOOR build is for my wife. It is staring with an 11 THXP in 22-250. The factory barrel and stock are getting put in the parts bin.

We'll see if I can complete the full build by Mothers Day.

Thanks for reading so far.
    -PB

You build rifles for your wife too. Make sure you photo document your project and post it.

Basic Member
    Got a phone call from BHW tech Thursday. The barrel might get put on the lathe soon for Tapering.

This will be a 21” barrel…which is not a selectable length from the BHW website’s order form…but, if you give them a call, you will find BHW folks to be QUITE helpful and friendly. I have been nothing but impressed with the customer service thus far.

21” was chosen due to a number of factors:
    I had considered a 20” barrel, but wanted as much length as possible. My Savage 10-TR has a 24” barrel and is a bit unwieldy. My son’s 11-THXP has a 22” barrel, and seems to have nice proportions. However, it BARELY fits in the 42” Plano Gun-Guard case that I bought for him. The recoil pad is against the left side of the case, and there is ½” of foam in front of the muzzle end of the barrel.

Well, as a 22” barrel leaves little margin for error in stock length of pull adjustment, I decided on a 21” barrel. Some little part of that decision was based on the fact that it is a non-standard length.

Also, as I was planning for a pretty heavy varmint taper barrel, short length reduces weight a little. Long barrel are heavy. Not only is there more material…that material is further away from the shooter. I am hoping this rifle has decent balance. Not ‘off-hand’ kind of balance. Just a shooter’s perception off a bipod. TBD on the balance idea.

21” length
    2” chamber area
    Straight taper from there
    0.920” at the muzzle
    Threaded 5/8x24

Using the 20% off sale they ran during Shot-Show, I am getting a smoking deal on the barrel. If you look at the specs above…we are talking full custom. Custom length. Custom taper. Made to order. Threaded. That’s awesome.

Basic Member
    This 6.5 Creedmoor rifle will sit in the second full custom rifle stock made in my garage.

The first was made and given away as a 70th birthday present. Good friend of mine and I designed and CNC carved the stock. Most of the CAD work is his. All of the CAM work is mine. Final hand sanding and finish are his work. I contributed a few points to the general design theme, but most of the final design is a product of my good friend…a thankful son building his father a gift for his birthday.

That 1st rifle is a 220-Swift…with a long throat for shooting heavies. It regularly prints 5 shot groups in the 1’s, with a current best group under 0.1” at 100 yds. It has also printed a sub-4” group at 1000 yds…first time out, with minimal load development.

Basic Member
    Pics of the 220-swift rifle stock...and a screen capture from the CAD work for the 6.5 CREEDMOOR stock.

220SWIFT rifle stock...26" barrel. Heavy Varmint taper. Full custom CAD design and CAM work. Cut out in my garage. Hand finished. This was the first try. There was a 25% prototype run of one side of this cut out in 2x10 pine. Then, some further CAD refinements...and straight into the final product. Given this was the first time undertaking a project of this scope, I think it came out great.

Close up of the grip area. The wood is a Boyds blank. Royal Jacaranda. The grip area is probably the most interesting portion of the final stock. The cheek riser is also quite unique. We cut the stock out of the blank on my home-brew CNC machine...and he did a lot of hand sanding and a spectacular job on the hand-rubbed oil finish.

This is the current state of the CAD model for the 6.5 CREEDMOOR stock. This is very preliminary. The cheek riser is not built. The final dimensions are not set. The width and shape of several areas are still being negotiated (this will be my wife's rifle). The stock will be carved out of Tiger/Quilted maple. Even this part is still in flux, as I have not settled on a solid block, or a laminating process to increase rigidity and reduce the risk of warping.

The action and barrel are correct in proportion and color. The barrel is 21" long in the model and the Taper and Muzzle Diameter is as ordered. Regarding proportion...I have not settled on a final fore-end length or width. In the previous stock, we were limited by the width of the Boyds blank....which is almost exactly 60mm (2.36"). I think the fore-end on the above stock is 55mm (2.16") ...we cut 2.5mm into each side of the blank. I would actually like to go out to something like 65mm...maybe 2.5" Thoughts?

Close up of the grip area of the current CAD model. This is currently planned to be worked into a thumbhole design. As I get more details nailed down, I will try to keep updated pictures posted.

Last edited by PB_Crisp; 03-22-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: photo links

Basic Member
    That is one good looking stock, and I can tell that alot of time and dreaming went into it. I especially like the cheek piece design, it shows some ingenuity and some artistic thought.
    However, I will offer some constuctive critisizm. The weakest part of that stock is in the wrist, and I will bet at some time it will break if it is not handled carefully.If the shooter should lean on this when shooting prone with the butt touching the ground, it would not take much to snap it off. When the contour behind the tang drops below the trigger guard level it creates a straight shear line with the grain, and coupled with the fact that the butt is heavier because of the adjustable butt hardware and the cheek piece, it makes the weak link even weaker.I know this from personal experience, and have seen a few make a clean split horizontally right through the pistol grip. You may think that because this is a laminated blank that it is King Kong strong, but the laminations all run the same way with the grain.

The stock you have modeled up won't have that problem, even if you add the thumbhole, because it will have overhead support. I would recommend if you decide to laminate a blank for that project, lay it up with a 60 degree bias center section.
    Using cam software must generate a huge file to whittle out that profile, but I'm curious about how many lines of code just to do the inlet?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Nice CAD/CAM work!

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter: all valid points. The prototype that we cut out did snap at the neck. Some parts of the neck were modified as a result.

I am working with my friend and his dad to write a project journal and post a build thread.

On the second stock, the one for my Wife's rifle, it is being designed with a lot of experience gained. Different ergonomic considerations. Improved CAD skills. It is optimistic on my part, but i think this one might even be easier.
    Last edited by PB_Crisp; 02-23-2015 at 12:15 AM. Reason: flow

Basic Member
    But that other one is so COOL! can it be reinforced with a steel rod up the handle?

Basic Member
    The 220 swift? This thread is about the 6.5 creedmoor for my wife!! (Kidding).

Having held and shot that stock in the pictures above. ..not only does it look cool...It is sweet to shoot.

Regarding the neck and reinforcement...Having held and shot that stock in the pictures above... i can't imagine it cracking. It is owned by a grateful father, who handles it with the care worthy of a gift that took ~1000 hours to make.

Quote Originally Posted by PB_Crisp View Post
    Sharpshooter: all valid points. The prototype that we cut out did snap at the neck. Some parts of the neck were modified as a result.

I am working with my friend and his dad to write a project journal and post a build thread.

On the second stock, the one for my Wife's rifle, it is being designed with a lot of experience gained. Different ergonomic considerations. Improved CAD skills. It is optimistic on my part, but i think this one might even be easier.
    Beautiful work!
    maybe you can route a channel and embed a metal spline (or whatever it is called) to the wood strength and keep the current design.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Fantastic work you did. You should start making them to sell to help support your hobby,hint hint.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the positive feedback so far. Making the stock for the 220 swift was a lot of fun and a lot of work...but totally worth it.

My wife has given me permission to continue design work on her rifle. I had to pause until i finished tiling the backsplash in the kitchen.
    Last edited by PB_Crisp; 02-23-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    This will be a post of mostly pictures.

The first is a screen capture of the CAD files.
    This is a top-down few onto 3 stocks.
    The Brown stock is the CAD model from the 220-swift in the previous pictures...this model is used in reference while building the 6.5 Creedmoor stock.
    The middle stock, in yellow, is a recent version made by the CAD expert on this project, a good friend of mine. His father got the 220-swift rifle as a gift.
    The bottom stock, the gold one, is a modification of the yellow model. Essentially a version of that yellow stock.

This next screen capture is just an angled few of those same stock in that same order.
    It is quite obvious, even in this view, the intricacy of the brown stock model. There is lots of detailed work within that CAD file.
    The other 2 stocks reflect both the early stage of design that they are in...and the different approach taken in the design. Please don't take this the wrong way. The first stock was designed by an engineer for his dad. The other 2 stocks (essentially copies of each other) reflect the intended recipient.

Here is a closer view of the 2 versions of the 6.5 Creedmoor stock. The differences between each version is very slight.

This next picture shows one of the areas of the stock that is in current development. The very front of the fore-end is a very visible point of character for a stock. The yellow stock shows an approach to finishing off the front of the stock. The gold stock had nothing there...because I haven't gotten to it yet. I am certainly welcome to ideas.

Side view (X-axis) of the front of the fore-end. Again, I welcome and ideas.

Looking straight down the pipe.
    Now this is less about the shape of the 'nose' of the stock...and more about the shape of the bottom of the fore-end. In my opinion, the stock is too beefy. However, what might look awful in CAD...might look great when cut into real wood...and the opposite is also possible. What looks great in CAD...might not work when it gets cut out. TBD.

I hope this post doesn't wander too far...I am moving back to the grip area.
    The shape of the Grip and Tang areas are both critical and hard to get just right.
    This is a side view showing the 2 current versions. The gold stock is in front, and the yellow stock can be seen behind it.

Closer view. The grip-to-tang flow in the gold stock is actually rendered in silver. This is the section that I worked on most recently.

Flipped around, so you are viewing 'from the other side'.
    The yellow stock is now in the way, and the differences in the gold stock can be seen.

Angled view. This really shows some of the curves in the gold stock better. The straighter lines of the yellow stock are also pretty obvious. Preference?
    (The action in this picture rendered as bright orange...I think I had my mouse hovering will hitting the screen capture.)

Again, let me say that I welcome feedback. I will try to address any critiques that are given. I will try to not take offense if you call my work ugly. Please don't take offense if I only consider your advice, but don't implement it. :)
    -PB
    Last edited by PB_Crisp; 03-22-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: picture link updates

Basic Member
    Its been almost a month since I have updated this.
    Due to coaching kid's basketball practice, and work, and life...I haven't been able to spend much time on this.
    Couple business trips later...you can get an amazing amount of CAD work done sitting at the airport.

Latest version:

The Thumbhole has been built and cut out.
    The Riser has been built and cut out.
    The Fore-end has received some vent holes.

In order:

A close up of the Thumbhole cutout. This was an interesting shape to build...in order to get the cutout to flow correctly.

A close up of the riser. The friend that designed the 220-swift stock in the previous posts built this part. It has a nice side profile, and also includes the overall shape guidance my wife requested...VERY nice work building this piece.

Taken from profile, the stock is starting to come together...I think it has some pretty decent proportions at this point.

I think the grip area and the thumbhole will be design features that capture the most attention. They look awesome in CAD.

The Fore-end and bottom of the action area are still being refined.
    The complete action files, to include bottom metal, trigger assembly, trigger guard...and even the pillars will be rendered in CAD. This will allow for some verification of the initial measurements used for the Action area of the CAD model.

Any thoughts, comments, critiques or input is very welcome.
    -PB

Basic Member
    Having a good friend to work on these kinds of projects is awesome.
    IF that friend happens to be really good at CAD is even better.
    IF that friend also happens to have a 3d printer? yeah...I consider myself blessed.

With the previous stock...the one we built for his dad...the 220-swift in some of the other pictures...we did a real poor job making a prototype out of 2x10 pine lumber. It was both a learning experience and a bit of a disaster. LOTS of hours were spent watching the CNC mill cut the shape out...only to realize things needed to be changed.

Now, using the 3d printer, he printed out the grip area of the 6.5 Creedmoor stock design in 6 hours.

Printer laying the 'ground work' :

Printer about 35% done:

About 70% done:

And, the 'final' product:

My wife was able to check for grip fit and comfort and all the other guess words one uses when trying to get a concrete answer for something that is pretty much a none concrete opinion.

I need to build a bit of a grove along each side of the top of the grip...
    One on the Left for the thumb to rest in.
    One on the Right for the trigger finger to rest in.
    Those mods should allow for better feel and consistent hand/grip relationship.

The thumbhole shape, which is described as a 'peanut' by my kids, needs to be rotated back at the bottom...making a bit more solid surface for the palm of the trigger hand to rest.
    Other than those mods, I would call the 'grip area' prototype a success. As a prototype, I'd call it a complete success. As a CAD model, we learned that tweeks need to be made.
    Oh, and in the background of the last picture, you can see a small section of the curly/tiger maple board I acquired on Saturday.

Any and all comments and critiques are very welcome.
    -PB

Basic Member
    Amazing. Really.

Just curious, besides the machine itself, what, approximately, did it cost your friend to "print" that thing? I imagine it is simply plastic, so is something like that expensive to make?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Amazing. Really.

Just curious, besides the machine itself, what, approximately, did it cost your friend to "print" that thing? I imagine it is simply plastic, so is something like that expensive to make?
    I don't have a 3d printer, and I can only relay what info I get during breaks at work:
    spool of about 2 lbs of plastic costs about $20.
    That print for the grip area was about .25 lbs.
    So, doing quick head math...that cost about $2.50

Basic Member
    ^^^^ That's incredible! LOL I'm amazed.

Basic Member
    The plastic model may be good for general feel, but once you add the trigger and trigger guard, and in the proper place it may not be comfortable at all.
    Any time I make a new pattern, I use a mock up trigger locator to get the placement right. All Savage stocks use the rear action screw hole as a reference to cut the inlet. Once the hole is there, the stock is fixtured on a pin in that hole. That is the x,y .0.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Slow and Steady progress:

I have all the boards that will make up the rifle stock. 3 piece laminate.

The current plan is for a 70mm wide blank. I 20 I 30 I 20 I
    Bought a piece of 4/4 rough and a piece of 5/4 rough.

The 4/4 actually measured an average of 0.98"
    (under 1"!...I would think 4/4 would be just over!!)

or 24.95mm. This made jointing, planing and sanding the boards flat a bit challenging, as I didn't have much to work with.
    Typically, jointers like to work between 1/64th and 1/32nd of a inch, which converts to 0.4mm - 0.8mm.
    You can see, I could only pass the boards across the jointer a few times if I expected to have enough left to plane the other side.

The 5/4 measured 1.305" or 33.15mm. Again, not much spare to work with if I wanted to finish at 30mm.

Jointer time:
    12" Powermatic Jointer!!!$$!!!

Little more Jointer time...this time slightly out of focus:

Finished with this stage:

On to the Planer:
    I think this is a 24" wide planer...capable of a 24" deep piece. Huge machine. Auto thickness adjustments. Just punch in the desired thickness. It even does millimeters, for knuckleheads like me.

This was towards the end of planing the center piece. I think this was the last pass, before moving on to the sander.
    No, I do not own such amazing equipment. However, for $5 and hour, I can use a room full of wood-working awesomeness to my hearts content.

Drum Sander Stage:
    This is another stupidly awesome machine. 36" wide belt drum sander. (the belt runs over multiple drums...this is not what I might think of when you say drum sander)
    There is no auto-thickness adjustment. You need to know what the piece measures, and know what you want to take off the piece.

I started just running single pieces through.

After a few passes to get myself comfortable with the sequence, I started running multiple pieces through at once. Each piece needs to get run through a few times in each direction and face. Adjustments are made to reach the final thickness and to account for any rough spots from the planer grabbing the grain.

AND...here's a shot of some of the final product.
    That's some curly/tiger maple and a block of purpleheart.

I am going to try to get the band-saw work done on the blank profiles and get the glue-up done later this week.

-PB

Basic Member
    The Band Saw idea did not work. In order to make the cuts that I wanted, I would have needed an 16.5" clearance bandsaw. I have access to one with 15.75" (or so) of clearance.
    I ended up Jig sawing out the pieces.

Draw some lines, drill some holes, follow the lines with the jigsaw. Repeat.

Didn't take long, and I had a stack of pieces for gluing up the blank.

Keep in mind, the plan calls for a 3 piece laminate. 20mm side panels, with a 30mm center section.
    I have enough pieces to make 3 blanks. I bought enough wood to have plenty...thereby allowing selection of the best grain section. Well, after cutting out the best sections, I had enough left over to make additional panels.

I went through each piece, and put the best grained pieces together and labeled that blank #1.
    The next best pieces were put together to form blank #2

The final center section piece had the worst rolled bark edge of all the pieces. After cutting that off and planning down, that center piece was only 29.5mm thick. This piece was used for the center section of blank #3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast