(Yes, this is old, but it isn't dead. I've begun updating this again)

Hello, I think this is my first post.

I am putting together my first custom bolt action build. Custom might not be the right word for this.

This rifle is starting with the following intentions in this order of priority:

1. Sub-1/2-MOA precision
2. Long Range precision, out to 1000 yds and possibly beyond.
3. Reduced recoil, compared to 308.
4. Better ballistic trajectories than 308 out to 1000 and preferably beyond.
5. Short enough barrel to fit the full rifle into a 42” rifle case (Plano, Pelican)
6. Long Range hunting capable in most states (some restrict caliber to .250 and over)

I stressed over caliber selection for about 6 months…while waiting for just the right time to order the barrel.

In goal #2, I mention long range precision. Given just the right load, you can shoot a 223 bolt gun out to 1000 yards…supersonic. However, wind calls become very important. It is on the edge of sub-sonic. Velocity variance due to reloading practices can cause vertical stringing.

I almost went with 6mm/6.5 Grendel (243LBC/264LBC), but…the 6/6.5G certainly doesn’t have better ballistics than 308 out to 1000. I use the 243/264 interchangeably, as they are very similar. Very light recoil, cheap on powder, and…both use MOA corrections up in the 30’s out to 1000 yards. (this paragraph is not well written, but hopefully the point gets across)

I decided to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. (I might have gone with the 6mm Creedmoor, and given up on goal #6 above…but, BHW didn't chamber in 6.0C and 6.0C brass was not available at the time of the barrel order - 22 JAN 15…thank you Shot Show discount)

6.5 Creedmoor (6.5C) fits all the caliber goals above. It doesn’t have a huge amount of a reduced recoil compared to 308, but will do just fine.

Thanks for reading.
-PB