Thread: Model 99 chamberings?

stealthshooter

Model 99 chamberings?

I noticed a member has a savage model 99 chambered in 7mm-08. I was wondering if this was a factory chambering or if this was a rebarreled rifle?

Thanks
    Kris

Re: Model 99 chamberings?

Factory but they're as rare as hens teeth and if you do stumble onto one you can expect a hefty price tag.
    Savage- "never say never".

Like he said, you find one you can afford, you better buy it. It is probable the rarest of them
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stealthshooter

So if that's what I really want I'd be best off to buy a 308 and have it rechambered?

Thanks
    Kris

Eric in NC

You would have to have it rebarreled not rechambered. Can be done but is strictly a custom job ($$$$).

Might be cheaper to have a 243 rebored but I don't know. Any way you go, a 7mm-08 model 99 is going to be big bucks.

stealthshooter

I noticed that Pac-Nor threads for the Model 99 wouldn't this be the easiest and most cost effective way to get what I'm wanting?

Thanks
    Kris

Eric in NC

Yes, but you will still have to get a smith (unless you have the skills) to install the forearm lug face the breech end / cut the shoulder to get it to headspace, cut extractor slot, etc.

Depends on your smith and where you are - about $200 - $300 more added on to barrel price.

99trix

I gave my son a 99C that was rebarrelled into 7mm08. It was from a donor rifle with a damaged barrel (284) and my buddy brought it to his smith to have it repaired. Since his smith didn't have everything for 284 (reamers etc) he said it would be cheaper to go the 7mm08 route. It has a shillen match barrel on it and it shoots like a tack driver! The simplest conversion will be to find a clip model (99C) then it is just a barrel change. If you go with a rotor then you need to find a 308 family rotor rifle to start with.

stealthshooter

Thanks very much for the info. I love the model 99 and the 7mm-08 is by far my fav caliber.

Thanks
    Kris