Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Hate

Basic Member

Twinsen, our little deer are thicker than the fleas in a Taliban fighter's beard. Around here in CenTex, the roadsides are littered with deer bodies and deer body parts; and the insurance companies make major pay-outs each year to cover the vehicle damage incurred. The number of deer harvested by hunters each year is huge (most counties have a 5 deer limit: 2 bucks and 3 does, and the season begins for bow hunters in October and doesn't end until mid-January!) but the numbers taken by vehicles is even larger.

bflee
    I have a clunky, heavy, basic Savage LRP 6.5CM. I dont shoot any competition except for with my shooting friends from work. Alot of them own Remmy's that have alot of money in them. Alot of them are spending more money now to try snd outshoot that LRP. I have 1800 dollars in the rifle and a Vortex 6-24x50 and it can handle any of them that have 3000 in their rig. It really makes some of them go onto other sites and talk crap about Savages! A couple have converted though!

Me personally, Savage just has the number one thing a rifle (not including DG rifles) should have, and that is accuracy. Me, I have had great reliability with all of my factory built Savages, and 95% of the ones I have built into something else. The ease of switching from one thing to another is one of their greatest selling points for me and the ease of being able to modify them for odd and strange chamberings is a huge plus for me. I mean what else was a going to use to build a 444 Marlin bolt action pistol and have it be a repeater? A Savage Striker Pistol action, a barrel from Apache Gunworks, and opening up a .473 bolt head in the lathe and viola, an accurate custom made deer killing machine.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

greyghost
    That is a great looking rifle,

Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    Twinsen, our little deer are thicker than the fleas in a Taliban fighter's beard.
    Ha! Love it!

I have a buddy who is a Mauser snob. He won't even consider owning a Ruger action. We went to the range recently and I had my Savage American Classic in 250 Savage and he had his Zastava Mauser style rifle in 7x57. He just got it back from a gun smith who spent months trimming the stock and smoothing the action. He took one look at my Savage American Classic and asked "what is that?" He was drooling at its sharp looks. It has deep bluing and a beautiful walnut stock. He picked it up pointed it and worked the action. He was speechless. He could not believe he was holding a Savage. His Zastava is the definition of clunky. Even after spending time at a smith it is like working an old 3 on the tree pick up. It does not feed right and does not eject correctly. My Savage is as smooth as silk and the tang safety and trigger pull are icing on the cake. We won't even discuss the lasers it sends down the range. Some people can't look past the birch stock plastic sight models with Simmons scopes that were sold at Service Merchandise back in the day. Even those were extremely accurate.

Twinsen
    I wanted a Zastava. Then I held one. The heck? Their mini mauser isn't even CRF. I have a Serbian Mauser probably of their manufacture. It can't eject. I have a lot of bad experience with bolt actions not being able to eject. I've avoided them like the plague until just recently.

I still haven't seen a 700 that could eject 4 or 5 rounds straight.

sav.110

This is my second post here, I have had 3 savage's 06,270 and 308 and all have given me 1" groups at 100 yrds. I'm sold on them, the only one I have left is a old 4 dijet ser.# I'm trying to find out the ser.# in another post it shoots under a inch at 100 yrds. it's a great shooter and a keeper. Looking to many more post's here.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by yukondog View Post
    This is my second post here, I have had 3 savage's 06,270 and 308 and all have given me 1" groups at 100 yrds. I'm sold on them, the only one I have left is a old 4 dijet ser.# I'm trying to find out the ser.# in another post it shoots under a inch at 100 yrds. it's a great shooter and a keeper. Looking to many more post's here.
    What do your trigger pulls test at? If you have oem trigger pulls and youre getting 1" groups already then just imagine what you'll get if all four of your rifles had 2lb triggers.(I never go below 2lb)

Hallbilly
    Only ever owned one Savage and unfortunately it's soooooooooooo boring.
    It literally cleans itself, it's smooth, always feeds and predictably makes holes appear in the correct places. Boorrrriinngggg...............

makes holes appear in the correct places
    Don't you just hate that?
    Last edited by wbm; 03-06-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Hope you like the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    (I never go below 2lb)
    Do you shoot long range or targets for group size?

I earn the Savage hate every time I pull up to the local range with my ugly old 10FP in 223 and my HogHunter in 22/250. Shooting next to $2500-4000 Stiller Tacs and such, the disgusted looks never stop when I shoot one hole groups with my little $400 rifles while their targets look like Swiss cheese. I know where the hate comes from, they see their high dollar rifles as status symbols and just hate to be outshot by a run of the mill Savage. I love it when I sit next to a high dollar rifle owner trying to get factory ammo to group, because I know to them the high dollar stuff is just bling for their friends to ooh and aah over.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Does anyone know where I can get a Savage PTA that is timed and trued without waiting forever? A serious question given the price and wait time. Am I better off going for a Remington clone>?

PM sent
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 03-07-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    There's a new custom action out there called the mausingfield. It's components are the following:
    1. Mauser style action
    2. Remington 700 Footprint
    3. Mauser Extractor
    4. Sprinfield Ejector
    5. Remington Style triggers
    6. Compatible with Savage Small Shank Barrels and Barrel nut
    7. Built in Recoil lug

Basically the best item from every bolt action design there is minus Accuracy International. Although it runs for $1600 it seems like the last action a man would ever need. There are more specs out there, but just this short list says a lot for innovation in the bolt action world!
    I agree and I like it! BHA has a similar action >>> http://www.bighornarms.com/action-info/

Basic Member
    There's a guy in another forum that absolutely hates (probably an understatement ) anything Savage and calls it "Salvage". He's a big time Rem 700 fan and I find it very interesting when the Savage/Remage (considers it a sacrilege ) guys enumerate the many advantages and benefits of owning a Savage rifle, esp. went it comes to DIY projects and accuracy.

Basic Member
    I like to consider myself an open minded person, As long as everyone agrees with my opinion. Lol!!! No seriously At one time I was one of the haters and thought Remington and Browning were the only two rifles to own. But since I started shooting Savages I know own One Remington and it was my grandfathers is the only reason I own it. I have a dozen or so Savages and my Brownings. Its hard to argue with guns shooting .25 moa and under. And as far as dependability I have never had a problem with Savage anymore than any Remington I ever owned. Since Remington sold out 9 years ago or so I personally would not own one. However Savage sold out 18 months ago or so too so I guess we will see about their QC.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Toney
    My thoughts on the pre accutrigger rifles was by the time you buy a good trigger you could have got a 700.

I've owned 5 centerfires and 3 rimfire savages. The centerfires were all accurate and reliable, the rimfires all had different issues.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Do you shoot long range or targets for group size?
    I use 2lb triggers for hunting. 29 ozs might be as low as I ever went. If you are target or distance shooting 2lbs might be a tad high. I wouldn't be concerned about a 12 oz trigger on a target gun but on a hunting gun I would. I sometimes find myself hunting in the cold where I doubt I could even feel a light trigger. I like to feel some resistance from a trigger when hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    I use 2lb triggers for hunting. 29 ozs might be as low as I ever went. If you are target or distance shooting 2lbs might be a tad high. I wouldn't be concerned about a 12 oz trigger on a target gun but on a hunting gun I would. I sometimes find myself hunting in the cold where I doubt I could even feel a light trigger. I like to feel some resistance from a trigger when hunting.
    +1 for me also especially with gloves on.

Basic Member
    I know this isn't a trigger discussion, but I stopped using light triggers on my match rifles simply because a misfire will get you DQ'd from an entire match. I don't use a pull gauge. I simply tap the trigger with my finger in a manner that can be easily produced while changing positions or if my finger slipped off the trigger guard. Of the trigger breaks it's to light. If I hd to guess I'd say it's right around 2lbsaybe a little less.

freestyle

Savage hate?!

Some people believe that a Savage is junk because of the relatively low cost. They pay the high price for their Sako's, Blazer's, Browning's, etc. Truth is, however, that they don't shoot any better than the affordable Savage.

It's human nature and applies to virtually all products like automobiles, electronics and clothing, just to name a few. Some derive status from the brand on the things they own. Like women that buy $3,000. purses when they could get the same utility from a $100 purse and then have some money to put in it!

I am a gun nut and have many high priced rifles and shotguns but that's only because I can afford to buy whatever I want. When I was 13 (more than 40 years ago) I worked more hours than I care to admit to buy my first high power; a Savage 99C ($200.00 Cdn at the time). I have shot more game with that rifle than all my others combined. It has sentimental value that no other rifle will have, regardless of cost.

Now that my boys are old enough to hunt I bought the oldest a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and recently my youngest a Savage 114 American Classic. They know that there are more pricey ones in the gun room, but for them there is only one rifle... their rifle. The one they own, learned to shoot, maintain and care for and the one that they used bring home their first big game.

They love their "budget" rifles".

That's what matters to me. All else is just snobbery and elitism: look at me, my things and how great I am. NV me.

D.ID
    "They know that there are more pricey ones in the gun room, but for them there is only one rifle... their rifle. The one they own, learned to shoot, maintain and care for and the one that they used bring home their first big game."
    "This is MY rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine"...........Amen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast