Thread: Smooth barrel nut / spanner wrench

Smooth barrel nut / spanner wrench

Will a pin spanner wrench be ok to take off a smooth barrel nut ?
    I was thinking of putting some plastic shim stock between the nut and wrench to protect the nut from getting scratched in the process if you all dont see a problem.

It should work ok as long as the barrel nut wasn't put on by a gorilla.

Basic Member
    If you have some spare cash, just use the wrench even if it scratches or cut the nut and buy the traditional notched barrel nut as a replacement. The notched barrel nut is much easier to work with if you decide to rebarrel in the future.

Buy a new nut from Jim at NSS, and use a pipe wrench to get the old one off. My smooth nut was put on by a gorilla, and had a bunch of crap in the threads (see pic). I tried to get it off w/ the smooth nut wrench w/ the brass shims and couldn't keep it from slipping no matter how tight I made the compression screw. I had purchased the rifle new to use as a donor action, and replaced the barrel not long after purchase so the crap in the threads was from the factory
    [IMG][/IMG]

What you see in the threads is shot blasting media and you should send that picture right to the ceo so he can see for himself that QC checks are somewhat non existent. That is absolutely ridiculous to see such shoddy workmanship. To the original poster ,did you try rosin on the sss wrench? If you didn't , that is why it slipped so bad.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by hol571 View Post
    Buy a new nut from Jim at NSS, and use a pipe wrench to get the old one off. My smooth nut was put on by a gorilla, and had a bunch of crap in the threads (see pic). I tried to get it off w/ the smooth nut wrench w/ the brass shims and couldn't keep it from slipping no matter how tight I made the compression screw. I had purchased the rifle new to use as a donor action, and replaced the barrel not long after purchase so the crap in the threads was from the factory
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I just went through the same process on a doner rifle with a smooth not. Had to use a pipe wrench and it was also full of crap. I wrapped mine with electrical tape and it only marred it a little. I agree with the other posters too, that replacing it with a NSS nut (add a match grade lug too) is the way to go

Thanks, i will replace The nut when i get to taking it apart.

I had the exact same thing, but I ended up using a pipe wrench to get the nut off. Then I replaced it with the grooved nut.
    355th TFW