Thread: Lee Collet Die "cool" Factor

Luke45

Lee Collet Die "cool" Factor

So is it just me or are LCDs not cool anymore for the precision rifle crowd? people laugh at me when i tell them i use them for almost every caliber LOL. they all want some "redding comp bushing FL seater plug bump die" or some BS! LCDs have and continue to make the most accurate ammo i have ever loaded, and have not looked back

any love for LCDs?

I know people that curse them. I like them. If you anneal and don't put to much pressure on the neck you can get some consistent neck tension. Press to hard and get strirations. I had federal brass split from that. There are other issues but the case head space doesn't change when you use them. I give them a thumbs up. i cant complain about my Redding Competition dies, But I have 290 plus or minus in each set of those.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I've been using Lee NS dies for quite a while and have done very well with them. My brass gets annealed every 4th firing with a full sizing and neck sized in between.
    I can't say for 100% certain they affect accuracy but they do help the brass live longer.

Cool?
    Are you more concerned about reloading safely with greater consistency & accuracy or are you concerned about being cool?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Good point, Frank.
    I am not cool.
    Never was.

Just good! :)

I'm not cool or fashionable.
    I use a collet die for every rifle load.
    Anneal every fifth shot or so and run brass through a body die similarly.
    I've used the bushing dies and the lee collet is in no way inferior in the results it produces.

It's fast, easy, cheap and effective.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Good point, Frank.
    I am not cool.
    Never was.

Just good! :)
    Yeah, same here. I stopped being cool about 20 years ago. It was getting too expensive.
    Now I'm totally completely & thoroughly uncool. I use my NS collets on a regular basis.
    How uncool is that?...

LongRange
    I've been using redding bushing dies for years and just started using the LCD...my bushing dies now collect dust!

I run my brass through a redding body die and tumble every firing,anneal every second firing and may start annealing every time(still playing with annealing times)and love the collet die.
    I think you'd be surprised at how many top shooters use the collet die. I know a lotta guys FL size every firing using Forster BR FL dies as Forster will hone their dies to give you the neck tension you want but personally I don't like dragging an expander ball back through my brass.

Luke45
    im ok with outshooting someone with a 5000$ custom rifle with a savage i built for less than 1000$ using Lee dies thats cool to me

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    im ok with outshooting someone with a 5000$ custom rifle with a savage i built for less than 1000$ using Lee dies thats cool to me
    Very uncool, Luke.

Very uncool...

Basic Member
    I use LCD for NS as well. I did not like the feeling of the expander ball. Not only did it feel rough on the brass, but felt like it was hard on the press as well. I need to get into the world of annealing though. Just haven't decided on making that commitment yet.

However, as much as I like my Savage, I really love the Shilen Build I just did lol! Getting it to the range tomorrow afternoon and a match on Sunday.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I use LCD for NS as well. I did not like the feeling of the expander ball. Not only did it feel rough on the brass, but felt like it was hard on the press as well. I need to get into the world of annealing though. Just haven't decided on making that commitment yet.

However, as much as I like my Savage, I really love the Shilen Build I just did lol! Getting it to the range tomorrow afternoon and a match on Sunday.
    Pics Please!!

I need to get into the world of annealing though. Just haven't decided on making that commitment yet.
    Reading your post I would have figured you to be all over that. To be perfect you need a cool machine either DIY or purchased, but to dramatically improve the quality and consistency of your neck tension, the drill and torch method will get you started. You may ruin a dozen cases or so before you understand what your looking(That's what Federal brass is for) at but once you get the hang of it you will ask yourself what took so long to get started.

Basic Member
    Pics Please!!
    Look here http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t-of-new-build.

Robin- I haven't needed to anneal. I was shooting 308 before and had so much brass for it I just grabbed another bunch and prepped it. Will start soon though as I need to pick up a trimmer as well.

I use a motorized Lyman. It requires a lot of de-burring on anything over .005 cut. My bud has a Worlds Finest Trimmer and praises it often.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Look here http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t-of-new-build.

Robin- I haven't needed to anneal. I was shooting 308 before and had so much brass for it I just grabbed another bunch and prepped it. Will start soon though as I need to pick up a trimmer as well.

Hey Sarge,
    If you want I can send you my batch of photos that show step by step how to do the 'ol hand job annealing. Works like a sweetheart as long as you're only doing 30 - 40 pieces. More than that and it gets pretty boring.

Luke45
    question: with neck sizing, i usually get loose primer pockets before i need to anneal, so i have pretty much ignored annealing. so your saying you get more uniform neck tension by anealing? or are there other benefits to?

If you're only get 4 loadings out of brass before you loose the pockets, you might be hot. Are you using FC or R-P brass?

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you're only get 4 loadings out of brass before you loose the pockets, you might be hot. Are you using FC or R-P brass?
    I usually load 4-5 Times, then run through body die then go aniter 4-5 times then loose pockets. Nosler and win brass mostly

Pm sent

Basic Member
    question: with neck sizing, i usually get loose primer pockets before i need to anneal, so i have pretty much ignored annealing. so your saying you get more uniform neck tension by anealing? or are there other benefits to?
    Sounds like your loads are hot or, try different primers (or both).
    CCI primers fit a little tighter. So do Wolf.

I notice Federal brass tends to wear out sooner than Remington or Winchester. Prvi Partizan isn't too awfully bad, either.

And to answer your question, I find annealing gives me more consistency with neck tension although I look to get as much life out of my brass as possible. I have some 30.06 brass that I can't read the head stamp from use. If it wasn't for the bag marked Rem 12X I wouldn't know what it was or how many times it was fired.

Lolo,so am i...lolo......just love it when I get preached on for using Lee products and end up out shooting the preacher......then about a year later ppreacher wants to to know what settings I have my Lee dies at LMAO,
    I

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Lolo,so am i...lolo......just love it when I get preached on for using Lee products and end up out shooting the preacher......then about a year later ppreacher wants to to know what settings I have my Lee dies at LMAO,
    I

Don't you use a scope that gets the optics snobs all riled up too. Your just a Rebel Rouser. Hehe

LongRange
    yes more uniform tension...also like some said if your getting loose pockets after 8-10 loads you are either to hot,using once fired factory brass or cheap brass.
    what cal are you shooting? and fed primers are the tightest fitting primers made...ive seated CCIs,winchester,REMs,and wolf in new lapua brass and they seated pretty smooth...feds are TIGHT...i hold the cases away from my face as they make me a little nervous.

I usually load 4-5 Times, then run through body die then go aniter 4-5 times then loose pockets. Nosler and win brass mostly
    this makes me wonder about your loads...see my thread about nosler brass...in my 300wm ive shot 210smks at 3075FPS and never had an issue with nosler brass. ive also shot 140g hornadys and 142g smks over 3000FPS in my 260rem and got 6 loads on 15pcs before pockets opened up but they are still usable. also in both riffles i can only shoot 2 to 3 times before before rounds are HARD to chamber...i run my cases through a body die every time to keep things consistant. once fired in my new 260 barrel is 1.623 measured off the shoulder...i bump the shoulder back 0.000.5 to 0.001. the more consistent you keep things the better your groups will be and this is where annealing comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Yeah, same here. I stopped being cool about 20 years ago. It was getting too expensive.
    Now I'm totally completely & thoroughly uncool. I use my NS collets on a regular basis.
    How uncool is that?...
    Its not uncool...........it's COOL.

I thought I was the cool guy when I found the Lee collet dies. Thanks for bursting my bubble!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]