Thread: Info on Savage semi auto .22

Jack1

Info on Savage semi auto .22

Hi all
    I want to add a semi auto .22 rifle to the armoury and as a committed Savage shooter (MK11 BSEV) I am considering a Savage .22 semi auto for target shooting up to 100 yards.
    Help and advise please
    Thanks
    Jack

Do yourself a favor and just get a Ruger 10/22. There's little to no aftermarket support for the Model 64 so you're basically stuck with it "as delivered", and while they generally run fine with no issues it's still a very dated, unappealing design. The 10/22 is a rifle that can adapt and grow with you however you see fit, which is why it's been dominating the semi-auto 22 market for 50+ years now.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Jack1
    OK thanks for that.
    J

No problemo. Hopefully this new A17 Savage is coming out with this year will be a success. If so, we might finally see an all new series of semi-auto rimfires from Savage utilizing the same design.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jrose361
    Dose anyone think that the A17 platform could hold up to the .17WSM ? and make a semi-auto B-mag

Don't know what the pressure difference is between the two, but I can say w/o a doubt the answer would be no for two simple reasons.

1. The 17 WSM requires a lot more firing pin energy to set off the round due to the thicker rim thickness.
    2. The case is longer thus the action would need a longer bolt throw than it has to cycle the 17 WSM.

And that's not even taking into consideration what would need to be changed to make it cycle properly due to any pressure difference.

MidwesternMutt
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Do yourself a favor and just get a Ruger 10/22. There's little to no aftermarket support for the Model 64 so you're basically stuck with it "as delivered", and while they generally run fine with no issues it's still a very dated, unappealing design. The 10/22 is a rifle that can adapt and grow with you however you see fit, which is why it's been dominating the semi-auto 22 market for 50+ years now.
    With all due respect, maybe a retro semi-auto is what the OP is after. I do not have a Savage semi-auto. I do, in fact, have a 10/22. It was the first gun I ever bought in 1987.

I like the idea of the Savage steel receiver, but have heard magazines can be iffy. I have heard the triggers come heavy but can be worked some. Also, Model 64 triggers have more parts than the 10/22 so are more difficult for DIY work.

All that said, if I ever run across a 64 for a great price, I am buyin' it. :D