Thread: Firing pin retainer for 1907

MARKO65

Firing pin retainer for 1907

Hi Guys..

I just purchased a four digit serial# 1907 but the firing pin retainer is cracked does anyone have one or know of where i can get one please. Also the slide has allot of slop and play to it..... is this due to a bad slide spring? Wolff makes new ones.

Marko

Have you tried Bobs gun shop, he shows firing pins, he might have the retainers to.

Looks like Numrichs is sold out.

By sloppy, what do you mean? Is the slide wiggling side to side or just lazy when your cocking it?
    Savage- "never say never".

MARKO65
    Hi....Thanks for the reply, yes i saw Numerichs is out of those parts. Bobs? Do you have a link....by sloppy i mean not side to side but back to front pretty loose, i ordered a new spring from Wolffs i have eights of these pistols and this is the first one i have had with this problem. It has to be the slide spring?????? What do you think.

Marko

Ya, likely a week slide spring. Have you fired it? Does it not cycle sometimes? If the spring was weak you would almost think it wouldn't cycle back the full length and pick up another shell.

http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

MARKO65
    No i have not fired it..... the firing pin holder is cracked and when you charge the cylinder most of the time the hammer does not go back. If you manually cock the hammer then put on the safety then release the safety the hammer goes down without pulling the trigger. I disassembled the gun and soaked the whole thing in Kroil overnight and already everything goes back together very easily. I am trying to source the parts i need and i'll let you know what effect the new spring has when i get it.

Marko

That doesn't sound like your retainer is the problem, it sounds more like your sear trip has some pressure on it from somewhere if it's releasing the firing pin as soon as the safety is switched.

MARKO65
    Mad dog..... if that's the case what is the fix? Clean out everything really really good and replace internal parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    That doesn't sound like your retainer is the problem, it sounds more like your sear trip has some pressure on it from somewhere if it's releasing the firing pin as soon as the safety is switched.

Make sure first.

Pull the bolt out, when you pull the hammer back manually keep your eyes on the back side of the sear trip you can see the firing pin sliding away from it, when the firing pin is far enough back it will stop and catch on the backside of the sear trip and when you let go of the hammer it should stay cocked, if it doesn't I'd say either the backside of the sear trip is rounded off and not holding the firing pin or the groove in the firing pin that grabs the sear trip is worn. Pretty much all the retainer does is hold the firing pin in place, shouldn't cause the gun to release the firing pin, that would be the sear trips fault.

Sorry, I should just be calling it the sear, I just use trip because that's pretty much what it does is releases the firing pin.

MARKO65
    Mad Dog

This little pistol is trying my patience......i disassembled it this morning no problems. Now i went to do it again and to see if a spring from one of my other model 1907's would make a difference....when i pull the slide back all the way and then try and engage the safety to pull the plug out. Well the safety won't move when the slide is back WTF .

That's happened to me before to, something is just jammed in the slide, usually it's the barrel if it's not sitting just right in the recoil lug of the frame.

All I usually do is just keep wiggling it till it free's up.

They're a fun little gun to play with. You learn from your mistakes. Here's learning the hard way on taking Savage pistols apart.

MARKO65
    Mad Dog.

Ouch....that looks painful. I will be patient and wiggle it a bit until i can get the safety to move. I just won this on Gunbroker and intend to use the Firing pin retainer from it on my Pistol.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=466864251

Try putting the whole bolt in yours and see if it will work before you start switching out parts, a lot of the pistol parts were interchangeable.

MARKO65
    That was my plan first.... will let you know, thanks!

MARKO65
    Mad dog

I still cannot get the safety to the rear position when i pull back the slide so i can take the pistol apart?????????????????

Does the safety work alright when the slide is forward?

Make sure your bolt is perfectly level at the back of the slide where it meets the back of the grip, if it's off kilter it might not let your safety move.

I'll dig a pistol out and see if I can't figure out what it's binding on.

When you took your gun apart did you take the ejector out as well? I'm wondering if the safety spring is jammed in there somewhere.

Other than that there isn't much to a Savage safety, if you look at the bolt when it's cocked you'll see a ridge on the left hand side of the cocking lever, your safety pretty much grabs this to hold it open so you can turn it to take it apart. If your breach plug isn't sitting straight in the frame it might not be grabbing it or it's binding against this and not letting it hold the slide open.

MARKO65
    Mad Dog.... yes it works fine when the slide is forward and thanks!

Did you pull the mag out?

MARKO65
    Yes mag out grips off.

Wow, that was unadvisable, those grips are pretty flimsy and tend to crack and break easily but hey at least now you can see whats going on up in there!

So when you push the slide back your safety won't engage?

Lets try something different as I just took apart one of my 380 1915's. I was totally wrong about the breech plug. After looking at it better, there are two slots in the left hand side of the slide, the farthest one back is for the safety when the slide is forward, the second one towards the front of the slide is the slot that holds it open. This is the one it's not grabbing. When I push my slide back it engages the hold open slot at exactly 1.5", is yours getting that far back or is your spring binding, or maybe when you put it back together you didn't get the barrel back into the lug properly?

MARKO65
    Mad dog

The metal grip on this very early model slid off easily and i dont want anything to happen to them as they are rare. This early model 1907 has a different breach plug then your 1915, mine must be installed right when i put it back together. The slide and everything it working... confused but still trying.

Sorry, got you confused with Smokey's thread, he had the 1915.

MARKO65
    Help!

Check your notifications at the top of the page.
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 02-20-2015 at 12:12 AM.