Thread: Savag 12 LRP questions

Matt52

Savage 12 LRP questions

I think I'm coming down with the long range shooting bug and I feel I have decided to get a 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor to cut my teeth on. Id like to hear what others think about the rifle. I have heard nothing but good. Is the 6.5 creedmoor better than the 260 Remington? Also I like buying guns that serve multiple purposes and from all my research on this forum it appears that the 12 LRP is a long shank barrel that would be capable of switching to 7mm WSM or 300 WSM should the need arise simple by changing barrels, mags and bolt heads. Is that true? I hate asking the "what fits where" question. Everything I've read indicates that its possible to do that conversion I was just wondering about the ejection port and how it would handle the 300 WSM cartridge. Id just like to know all my options before I buy the 12 LRP I'll probably buy it regardless it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for the caliber conversion would be extra icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Matt52; 02-15-2015 at 12:03 AM.

The only way I could get mine to shoot was a new barrel,the factory one was horrible.To change it to wsm youd have to buy barrel,bolt head and a magazine. Not the route I'd go.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    The only way I could get mine to shoot was a new barrel,the factory one was horrible.To change it to wsm youd have to buy barrel,bolt head and a magazine. Not the route I'd go.
    And possibly a new firing pin if yours is the non adjustable type.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    With mine I couldn't get it to group with the Hornady 140gr A-Max and it should. I also found that I was missing elevation which seems to have been caused by barrel droop. With my hand loads I was getting .2 moa at 100 yards off a bipod and rear sand bag.

I sent it back to savage and they threw a new barrel on it which fixed the elevation issue. I've also done a first round of load devolupment. Average group size was .44", min was 0.12" and max was .72" at 100. The one I will be focusing on was 0.12". All were 3 shot groups though so I can't say fore sure until I load up some more and do some 5 shot groups.

I was disipointed that I had an issue but was glad that Savage was so willing to help me fix it.
    Last edited by SoCal326; 02-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Basic Member
    I did just what you're thinking about when I got into LR shooting. I chose the 6.5 over the 260 because I didn't reload at the time, they're pretty much a wash though in performance. Match ammo is available for less than $25/box. Mine has about 2k rounds through it and still shoots 1/2 moa if I do my part. I think you should be able to do the conversion though I'm not sure why you would want to, the 6.5 will shoot a long ways if that's what you're looking to do with it. Why the switch to the WSM?

Matt52
    Mostly I want to shoot at 300 and 600 F-Class matches which the 6.5 is perfect it will also work to 1000. One of my bucket list items is to shoot out to a 1760(1 mile) that's where the 7 wsm would be useful it's just a bonus that the 12 LRP can switch calibers. Mostly will stick with the 6.5cm or 260. So I do reload with that being said 6.5cm or 260? I hear that 6.5 is better for non reloaders and 260 for reloaders. But I kinda get the feeling everyone would use 6.5 cm if Lapua made brass.

Basic Member
    There might be more people using the creedmoor if lapua made brass for it. I shoot with a bunch of tactical/precision shooters, some capable of winning national matches, and more shoot the .260 than the Creedmoor. That being said I don't think the majority of them are using Lapua brass. You can get more powder in a .260 case and some push them a bit faster which certainly helps a bit shooting to 1K or farther. At a recent match they had targets out to 1400 and a friend shooting a .260 cleaned it. :) I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I've got more than five loads on the Hornady brass and I've only tossed a few for loose primer pockets after a couple thousand rounds. If you don't reload the creedmoor has a big advantage with cheaper factory ammo. Winchester recently started making ammo too. If you're going to be swapping barrels I'd look at one of the 6mm rounds too for 3-600. You can get the LRP in .243 win as well.

Matt52
    Thanks for the info Newsshooter. Swapping barrels is exactly what lured me in to Savage rifles I love versatility in a firearm.

Matt52
    Well I pulled the trigger on a 12 LRP in 260 Remington. Gander Mountain was running a 10% off everything sale which saved me 115 dollars and then I find out Savage is running a 100 rebate on model 12's so I couldn't resist!