Thread: 22-250 load findings for anyone interested

Basic Member

22-250 load findings for anyone interested

Reloading for a sav 12 for prairie dogs last year I worked up a load consisting of Win brass, WLR primer, 53vmax over 35.5H4895 it's a bit warm but it works. Now on to loading for my buddies old sav-111 thin barrel. He ran out of ammo and I offered some of my 53vmax loads (that worked in another buddies axis 22-250) were almost tumbling at 100 in the sav-111. He said he used 55nbts so on to loading for the 111 had some Varget and 2 of his old 55 grain loads I pulled the bullets and found of course 39grains of H380 so I loaded up 34-36.5 grains of Varget in half grain increments with 55nbt's. To the range 35&35.5 grains of Varget 55nbt win case wlr primed and seated to min spec shot the same POA poi as the H380 loads. So now after finding a junk scope as a culprit for poor groups we changed the glass running low on Varget he stopped by a local shop and picked up 2 boxes of Winchester 55soft points he went to the range today those Winchesters and 35.5varget loads with 55nbts shot same POA poi so anyone looking for a load factory or other wise with H380, Varget that is what I found if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    Im confused what was the message here?

In the past I've used 4895 with very good results using 55 gr nosler ballistic tips.

Im experimenting with H380 this year. Also plan to try varget.

All great powders.

Basic Member
    My Savage Model 12 FVSS shoots 36.0 grains of Varget under a Sierra 55 grain Gameking very well. I loaded up some test loads with H380 and 4064 with a few different bullet combinations a couple years ago but haven't got around to shooting them. My rifle seems to be pretty tolerant of about anything it's ben fed so far.

Basic Member
    Limige, just as the title states, i was on my phone last night so it may be jumbled but i reread it and it still makes sense today. when i started loading for my 22-250 there just wasnt the info out there like more popular rounds 223-308 ect. it seems anymore everyone shooting a 250 has to have a 1-9 twist barrel or an AI. info was scarce and i wanted to share what i had found out with anyone searching for 22-250 loads. for their savage which are from the factory with a 1-12 twist barrel (from what i understand) the 3 ive checked with a cleaning rod and tape measure are anyways. JustinP61- H380 was actually designed for the 22-250 38 grains of H380 and pretty much any 52grain bullet. it fills the case more full than other powders and has a burn rate (around) H4895/Varget. its spherical powder though i hate it lol. just wanted to toss the first hand experience i had found with anyone looking for a powder, or was wondering is all.
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    yeah H380 is a nightmare temp wise. watch for overpressure if you do your workup in cold temps.
    I bought a jug since everyone raves about it. i'm going to give it an honest shot

4895 and varget both do well

Its recently come to my attention that there is a ton of ppl using IMR4064 with terrific results to the point it almost sounds like the goto powder..
    shame since I've got 8# of H380 a few lbs of varget and 4895.

also I think H4350 is one to give a serious look at when loading heavier bullets

I bought some 69 gr match kings to try. word has it a 1:12 will stabilize them if you push them fast

the old remingtons were a 1:14 twist

savage are 1:12
    unless otherwise stamped. savage also makes a 1:9 if your looking to push heavy bullets

Basic Member
    I personally am not a 22-250 fan 10 more grains of powder for 3-500fps I stick with my ballistic turd missile 223 for bulk shooting 55's and benchmark. Yes I'd like to get my hands on some H4064 I like dealing with extreme powders just as a little extra insurance policy. I'm gonna get out after coyote season an do some playing with the 22-250's I have if I can get a hold of some powder
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    I've got a certain affinity for the 22-250. It was my deer gun from the time I was old enough to hunt until just a few years ago. Now I use a 6.5 creedmoor which I feel is perfect. But I learned a lot by deer hunting with 55 gr pills. I believe it made me a better hunter in many ways.

Too many ppl run around with the thought you hit them anywhere with a 30-06 and they are going down. I was always careful to take clean precise shots and later learned how quick a neck shot lays them out.

I never have used a 223. Nor do I have any reason to start. Call me spoiled

I have taken up ground hog hunting. Its a lot of fun.

Basic Member
    We are just laying down coyotes where we live we can't hunt deer with high powered rifles but can hunt predators with them. And drive to South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs :-) just as you coyotes present a 4" kill zone and I feel even the most ruthless of creatures deserve a quick dispatching. I usually use my 223 with 55nbt's or 69smks for longer work and 77smks and 75vmaxs for the longest stuff. I've seen dogs hit with 204 or 220swift an the dog run off a bad shot with anything is exactly that a bad shot. I've got a 30-06 Shootin 208Amaxs that works well as well, you don't have to worry about packing too much out of the woods on a 45lbs dog
    couple of savages