Thread: My favorite rifle needs some new glass

My favorite rifle needs some new glass

A little over a week ago I shot my first black bear in thick woods with 2 minutes left to go in legal shooting hours. The current scope on my go to Savage 116 classic 30-06 is a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 that has served me well for years on a few different guns got the job done but man it was getting tough to see those cross hairs on that dark fur. I am kicking around the idea of stepping up a class or 2 in scopes. This is a lightweight gun so I don't want a huge scope on it. Need a nice bold etched reticle or illumination of some sorts. I have a conquest on another gun and really like that reticle. A few scopes I am looking at now are these. It no particular order.

Leupold vxr 3-9x40
    Leupold vx6 2-12x42
    Trijicon accupoint 3-9x40
    Swarovski z3 3-9x36
    Zeiss hd5 2-10

Any recommendations on these or something else I should look at. Not brand loyal. To many good choices to stick with one brand. 300 yard max on my hunting land and that's only a few spots, the rest is thick woods. Deer, bear, and a pig hunt every couple years. I want a quality scope on my favorite gun. Something that will still be on it when it gets passed down.

I would recommend looking at the Vortex Viper and Viper HS lines. I would also suggest you consider a 50mm objective as it will give you more resolution and a little brighter image which may help with being able to see the reticle more easily on a dark background.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    What about a Burris Veracity scope, they start at 2x10x42 and can be purchased for under $500.00.

After doing some research my next scope is going to be an SWFA. I believe there around the $700 range