Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since the Axis has the Accutrigger why not?

Berserker

Since the Axis has the Accutrigger why not?

Probably been beat to death on here already, but I been looking at Axis XP 2s with adjustable triggers. What is the difference between that and the Trophy 111 models? The main thing I want is an adjustable trigger. I have thought maybe someday I would build up a gun. Does the Axis have less options? I have read the actions are different, the parts are not interchangeable. Better stock? Better barrel?

I'll be buying a scope, so I am not big on spending the extra money on a package scope. I may someday upgrade parts, but that may happen for a long time.

Looking at .243, shoot a coyote, but mostly like to try some long range shooting. For repeated target shooting does one have a better barrel? I'd like SS, but doubt I'll pay for it for this gun.

I like the feel of Ruger American too, but leaning towards Savage because stronger aftermarket parts.

Thanks for reading, I am guessing this has been discussed alot.

Many Axis owners are buying the Rifle Basix Sav-1 triggers. Some are also doing a click pen spring exchanges ans even using shims to take some of the looseness out of the trigger itself. Check out the threads where this is discussed.

The Axis can be as accurate as any Model 10/110 series rifle but the savage mainstay does have an aftermarket clearly established where the former is lacking. My guess is that most people are happy with the 10/110 models for several reasons; accurracy, initial value and the aftermarket. I say initial value becuse the are like AR-15's. Very customizable for the DIY'er. That can get expensive.

Berserker
    I was looking at this axis because it had accutrigger

Berserker
    Stiffer stock? Better barrel? Twist is the same.

A thicker barrel for repeat stocks would be a consideration. I just don't want to pay more because it has a package scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I was looking at this axis because it had accutrigger
    Well then, problem solved.

IMHO though, Purchase the rifle that fits your needs and has the features you want. Look at them in the gun store regardless of where you buy the rifle.

I sent you a PM.

Berserker
    What I am saying is an adjustable trigger is top of my list. So if you can get an axis with adjustable trigger what are the other benefits of 111. I was hoping for something more detailed then it is just better.

I have read over certain years people didn't like the magazines, not sure if that has been addressed.

They had a new 700 for 430 but clerk said it was not adjustable so I wrote that off. Though Cabelas has 700 for 500 on sale right now that can be adjusted by removing it from the gun.

But barrel thickness for heating while working up loads is a consideration. One of the camo savages I looked at felt slippery.

Berserker
    I currently own 115, plus I been handling alot at the stores

Basic Member
    have you thought about the hog hunter in 308. I realize it is not a 243 but it has a larger dia. barrel ,a accu trigger ,larger bolt handle and @ 500.00 price tag at a later date you can change barrels , stock make it what you want . I think this is a good platform to start with good luck lots of choices

Berserker
    I wanted a faster round then 308. I've got 3 30 - 06 too. Got coyotes hanging around house so I thought I would use that as an excuse to buy gun. Like something little easier on fur.

Axises and Trophy Hunters use the same magazines, which are the plastic-bottom mags that are not too popular. I doubt you'll see much difference in the performance of the barrels between the product lines. The profiles look identical, though I haven't had one from each line in the same chambering to compare. Still, the tubes are of the same manufacture just with different model names engraved thereupon. The injection molded stocks are pretty close to being a wash, but I think the Trophy Hunter is a bit stiffer.

A 125 grainer in a 308 pushed by W748 is running about 3200. Is that fast enough for you.

Berserker
    Nope. Plus hard on fur

Basic Member
    buy the plain jane axis 243 from one of the box stores for <300.00 do the trigger mod listed on this site <2.00 trigger will be plenty lite put scope of your choice on it buy or load some 55g-75g varmint rounds should be good to go . i wanted a 20" barrel so i bought a youth 7/08 for 249.99, 2.00 trigger job, boyds stock, clearance 3x9 prostaff i don't have no complaints i have about 400.00 in it good luck

Berserker
    I never thought about youth model

Basic Member
    I wanted one that would be lite and balance well I carry this rifle with me most of the time in the truck and it comes in real handy if you get a youth might need to change the stock as youth was to short for me

Berserker
    I was just thinking if I came across a youth model used, it may be worth it to buy it and put after market stock on it.

As for truck guns, I would think about H&R. I did read the factory will adjust the trigger for free. The .243 of theirs I handle had a pretty hard pull. I was thinking about one in 45-70 for truck or 4 wheeler. Like a bolt, it can be loaded fairly quite.

jersurf101
    IMO the Axis is a good shooter, but comes no where close to the 11/110 in the smoothness of the bolt. My 11 trophy in.308 has a great smooth bolt. My Axis has a very rough bolt. Both shoot about the same but I personally would spend the extra cash on the 11\110 series.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jersurf101 View Post
    IMO the Axis is a good shooter, but comes no where close to the 11/110 in the smoothness of the bolt. My 11 trophy in.308 has a great smooth bolt. My Axis has a very rough bolt. Both shoot about the same but I personally would spend the extra cash on the 11\110 series.
    +1 I bought (and later sold) two Axis because I didn't like the action at all and HATED the mags. Bought a Mod 10 PH max 1 and love it!

Berserker
    Are the XPs a step up to the regular axis? Bolt seemed smooth to me, polished metal not parkenized, plus the accutrigger. $400. Though I am leaning towards Ruger American Predator. They didn't have one.

Basic Member
    The Axis XP is a package gun with an inexpensive scope. The original Axis XP comes with a cheap Bushnell and the Axis II XP has a Weaver Kaspa.

Berserker
    Most of the stores carry package rifles. I am a bit of scope snob and would rather put the $50 on a better scope. The one that came with my 116, I put on my 1022. Not much vibration, and I am not hunting trophies with it. Mounted it, but never used it yet.

I see why they sell, there are just fine. You don't have to make any choices and are ready to shoot.

Berserker
    Not sure what I am going to get, but I think whatever it is I will order from Bud's. It is fun at first driving around and handling guns. But after chasing lowest price, and who has what in inventory, I am just going to order it and get the one I want, not what is there.

I wonder how Cabelas has grown so big with their prices. But guns are one of this things you can't buy just anywhere.

Berserker
    Got Savage 11 predator model in 243 tonight. I got this one cause I wanted a heavier barrel, cause probably punch more paper then coyotes. I thought about cheaper model, but by the time you add a heavier barrel, I figured just buy this. I have wanted to do a build, but I also wanted to get out hunting.

Savage's websites sucks. Doesn't have the gun weight 8.75, NA, or even tell you it has medium contour barrel. Odd thing the display model had a jeweled bolt. The new one in the box had a finish, and was not as smooth. I took the display model.

If I shoot it enought, I will look into buying to much scope. Would like a VX-3 4x14x50. Published hunting hours are a suggestion.

Savage has $50 mail in rebate.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...HunterMossyOak

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...h-All+Products

My 10 Predator Hunter in 243AI is the most accurate rifle in my posession currently, shooting .25 MOA groups with about 1600 documented rounds on the factory barrel. It's also in Mossy Oak, but has the black bolt body from the factory and the detachable mag. It wears an old Redfield 4-12 5star scope on Leupold rings and bases. I don't expect it'll hold that title for long though, once I get the 6x55BR and 6.5 WSM loads worked up it should have some competition.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Berserker
    Not sure why the display model has jeweled bolt. Should look up serial number to see how old it is.

Not sure about nikon scope with BDC and open circle instead of cross hair.

Seems most of savages guns are package gun unless you get expensive models. I would have liked to save money for better scope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast