Thread: Model 10FCM Scout owners. Moving the iron sights?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unbound

Model 10FCM Scout owners. Moving the iron sights?

Apologize if this in in the wrong place. The sticky said to go to the optics board and the optics board said to go to the parts Q & A board which I couldn't find so I'm back here. Please move it to the right one if this is the wrong place.

So, I'm picking up a Savage 10FCM Scout near the end of the month. I was torn between the Model 11 Hog Hunter and the Scout. Really, a cross breed of the two would be my preference. The iron sights on either of them as a backup to a scope was the main draw. In the end I've chosen the Scout because of the detachable magazine and the factory Accustock. If I got the Hog Hunter I would have had to buy a third party aluminum bedded stock and spend the same amount of money anyways and it probably would have been a lot heavier then I wanted. There is no way to fit the Hog Hunter into a empty Accustock without modifying the recoil lug which I have no interest in doing. This is for hunting so the lighter Scout was preferable as well. The only thing I'd be missing is the threaded barrel from the Hog Hunter.

My dilemma is that I don't want to use a scout scope on it. I have a scope in mind already. This is a detailed question, so bare with me. I know I can remove the rear peep sight and install a small rail in it's place which will serve as the rear scope mount point. I could carry the rear sight with me to remount it if needed in the field but I would rather have iron sights already mounted and sighted in. I'm a backup plan kind of guy. The front long rail is installed with three screws. Here's a picture of it: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...pstdnrzdag.jpg Two screws on the receiver and one on the barrel. I could remove that as well and install a smaller front extended rail. The Scout's rail's barrel mounting point is nearly in the same place as where the barrel mounted rear iron sight of the Hog Hunter is located. A few possible options then. Option one, and I'm assuming the mounting screws are the same between models, I could buy the Hog Hunter rear sight separate from Savage and mount it there. It uses just one screw to mount so that should work. From everything I can tell, the two guns use the same front sight so it should work. Option two, mount the Scout's peep sight to the barrel if it would hold well enough as it is designed for two screws (it's probably too wide a curve to mount though as it was designed for the receiver). Option three, anyone know of a third party rear sight that would work mounted to the barrel?

Here's a composite mockup I created of the different elements, in this case with the Hog Hunter's rear sight, so you can see what I'm trying to do: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfjjwpb6.jpg The iron sights being in the way is not a concern with the right height mounting rings. Same when using the Hog Hunter.

For comparison sake, here's the stock Model 10FCM Scout: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...pskyswjaaw.jpg

If the concept works it would only take a few minutes to make the changes.

Another concern, from what I gather, is when dealing with iron sights they generally need to be designed to work together at a specific mounted distance. Anyone know anymore about that?

Make Sense? Anyone tried something like this? Thoughts on the whole? Anything I'm not considering?
    Last edited by Unbound; 02-11-2015 at 06:54 AM.