Thread: Model 10FCM Scout owners. Moving the iron sights?

Unbound

Model 10FCM Scout owners. Moving the iron sights?

Apologize if this in in the wrong place. The sticky said to go to the optics board and the optics board said to go to the parts Q & A board which I couldn't find so I'm back here. Please move it to the right one if this is the wrong place.

So, I'm picking up a Savage 10FCM Scout near the end of the month. I was torn between the Model 11 Hog Hunter and the Scout. Really, a cross breed of the two would be my preference. The iron sights on either of them as a backup to a scope was the main draw. In the end I've chosen the Scout because of the detachable magazine and the factory Accustock. If I got the Hog Hunter I would have had to buy a third party aluminum bedded stock and spend the same amount of money anyways and it probably would have been a lot heavier then I wanted. There is no way to fit the Hog Hunter into a empty Accustock without modifying the recoil lug which I have no interest in doing. This is for hunting so the lighter Scout was preferable as well. The only thing I'd be missing is the threaded barrel from the Hog Hunter.

My dilemma is that I don't want to use a scout scope on it. I have a scope in mind already. This is a detailed question, so bare with me. I know I can remove the rear peep sight and install a small rail in it's place which will serve as the rear scope mount point. I could carry the rear sight with me to remount it if needed in the field but I would rather have iron sights already mounted and sighted in. I'm a backup plan kind of guy. The front long rail is installed with three screws. Here's a picture of it: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...pstdnrzdag.jpg Two screws on the receiver and one on the barrel. I could remove that as well and install a smaller front extended rail. The Scout's rail's barrel mounting point is nearly in the same place as where the barrel mounted rear iron sight of the Hog Hunter is located. A few possible options then. Option one, and I'm assuming the mounting screws are the same between models, I could buy the Hog Hunter rear sight separate from Savage and mount it there. It uses just one screw to mount so that should work. From everything I can tell, the two guns use the same front sight so it should work. Option two, mount the Scout's peep sight to the barrel if it would hold well enough as it is designed for two screws (it's probably too wide a curve to mount though as it was designed for the receiver). Option three, anyone know of a third party rear sight that would work mounted to the barrel?

Here's a composite mockup I created of the different elements, in this case with the Hog Hunter's rear sight, so you can see what I'm trying to do: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfjjwpb6.jpg The iron sights being in the way is not a concern with the right height mounting rings. Same when using the Hog Hunter.

For comparison sake, here's the stock Model 10FCM Scout: http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...pskyswjaaw.jpg

If the concept works it would only take a few minutes to make the changes.

Another concern, from what I gather, is when dealing with iron sights they generally need to be designed to work together at a specific mounted distance. Anyone know anymore about that?

Make Sense? Anyone tried something like this? Thoughts on the whole? Anything I'm not considering?
    Last edited by Unbound; 02-11-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Typically the rear sight (like found on the hog hunter) is mounted with a single screw. Whether it's the same thread size/pitch as the Scout mount screws, I don't know. If they're different, there's always the option of mounting the sight to the barrel with epoxy.

The point I'm getting at is you may be able to simply buy a Williams rear sight ramp and mount it on the barrel where one would normally find it (like the Hog Hunter) using the front hole for the Scout mount and then just use a traditional Savage 10/110 scope base on the receiver to mount the scope.

I don't think your option 2 would work as with the barrel taper the rear peep would be to low and not properly aligned with the front. Not sure how much adjustment they have for elevation.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Unbound
    Ya, I figured it wouldn't be a good fit for the peep sight.

William's huh? Do you have a favorite of theirs?

Looking around, these Marble Arms "Bullseye" sights look interesting. I like that they are more open but still offer elevation. The front sight has windage. Good price too. Not sure about precision though: http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

All the open sights Savage offers (and has offered for years) are from Williams, so that would likely be your best bet for a direct fit. Pretty much anything can be made to work so long as it's compatible with the height of your existing front sight. If you opt to replace the front sight and go with a matched set the possibilities are endless - just depends on what style you prefer and to what lengths you're willing to go.

The Marble's you liked to would require a dovetail be cut in the barrel which is an easy enough task for any decent gunsmith, but that's obviously more involved than simply screwing or gluing a rear sight on.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Unbound
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    All the open sights Savage offers (and has offered for years) are from Williams, so that would likely be your best bet for a direct fit. Pretty much anything can be made to work so long as it's compatible with the height of your existing front sight. If you opt to replace the front sight and go with a matched set the possibilities are endless - just depends on what style you prefer and to what lengths you're willing to go.

The Marble's you liked to would require a dovetail be cut in the barrel which is an easy enough task for any decent gunsmith, but that's obviously more involved than simply screwing or gluing a rear sight on.
    That's true, I didn't notice that. I'll look some more into the Williams options. Thanks!
    Last edited by Unbound; 02-11-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Unbound
    So new development. I saw the Model 10FCM was replaced by the Model 11 Scout. I hadn't considered it worth it with the price difference but I just found out the Model 11 Scout has a $100 rebate right now from Savage which brings the price down to or below the price of the 10FCM. I's really the same rifle, but with a few extra features I appreciate. As far as the thread's topic goes it's pretty much the same setup as discussed above. Got to love that.

Sell the other one and get it to make it easier on you. Putting a rear site on is a touchy thing because if it isn't in line with the front site the rear sight will not have enough travel. A seasoned gunsmith like greg tannel from gre-tan gunsmithing could probably do it. You have to trig out where and what height the rear should be set at. It is a pain in the you know what.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!