Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 300 ultra info

Looking for 300 ultra info

Hello. I hope I'm not asking to much, I am trying to find a serial number of a pre accu trigger that came factory small shank chambered in 300 ultra mag. Im not trying to start a fire but the gal that I talked to at savage tells me that 300 rum was never produced with the small thread action. The guy that emailed me from there told me the same thing. I would like to check there parts finder and see what it says. I would appreciate it please pm me if you would be so kind as to share some info.

I would like to inform them that they are not always correct. There answer to me when I inform them that they're out there they tell me and I quote (someone must have made the threads smaller then).
    Last edited by bushwackr; 02-26-2015 at 01:53 PM.

troutdodger
    Bushwackr, They are wrong. I have a 112 FSAK in 300 RUM that is small shank. Pre accutrigger. I don't have the serial number handy but when I called Savage earlier in the week to order some parts the guy said "Wow that's an unusually rare model"

I know and that's what aggravated me when I talked to them about it they pretty much said I dont know what I'm talking about because I'm not working there.

I never have said to anyone that I know much of anything but I know what I'm looking at. They graciously disagreed

troutdodger
    I just entered the serial # on their part finder and it doesn't say whether it's a lg/sm shank but I bought this gun brand new and I know it is small shank.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdodger View Post
    Bushwackr, They are wrong. I have a 112 FSAK in 300 RUM that is small shank. Pre accutrigger. I don't have the serial number handy but when I called Savage earlier in the week to order some parts the guy said "Wow that's an unusually rare model"
    Must have been a special run for a distributor or big box store as the only FSAK's that were cataloged were 16/116's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

troutdodger
    And if anyone had turned the barrel down to make it small shank, then it would no longer fit the receiver that carries the serial #. Something is not white in the milk here.

Ya must have been but a person would sure figure they would know what they built. It would have been nice to know that there parts finder is wrong tho, because now instead of saving money by being able to change barrels myself. I have to pay smith to thread and install nutless barrel. He won't even talk about spinning me one up for the small actions. Granted I still got the Savage I wanted and can have sss tune the action and trigger I wanted. Im still paying for a barrel and smith work

troutdodger
    If I'm not mistaken, I got it through Jerry's Sport Center. That's where we order most of our firearms through.

troutdodger
    what are you changing the caliber to?

They tried to make me think that someone made the action threads smaller. That is crap

Want to stay 300 ultra ,just want a heavier contour.

My rifles the same thing 112 fsak. Blued ss action, Ss barrel,nut,lug,bolt handle. Crf mag and non crf bolt head. Its a strange one
    Last edited by bushwackr; 02-26-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: mistake

You have to remember, most (if not all) of the folks answering the phones at Savage aren't gunsmiths or working on the assembly lines, and most of them probably didn't even work there when they were making guns in .300 RUM (late 90's/early 2000's). They're just regurgitating what's popping up on their screen when they input your S/N, and record keeping isn't something Savage has ever been known to have been very good at.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

troutdodger
    Mine is stainless barrel with on/off brake synthetic stock blued receiver stainless bolt handle. probably had a big box of parts at the end of the month and said "screw it lates make some guns"
    Mine is the stagger feed blind mag. the magazine box has been cut and welded along the side. I'm assuming to lengthen it?????

No that's for sure, I dont think much of the tech's there either they sent me the email I received , but I still found the caliber I was after , and its a little strange so its kinda interesting but I just have to jump a few more hoops to get what I'm after

Yep mine has the brake its soaking in a mix of dextron 3,pb blaster,and kroil so I can remove it for a functioning brake. Yep must be to lengthen it.
    What does yours have for a bolt head full circle or bottom cutout?

troutdodger
    Mine's blued receiver, SS barrel with on/off brake, synthetic stock, SS bolt handle. J. Baker is right. There's probably not too many employees that were even around back then. I'd have to go through alot of paperwork but I believe I bought mine in 1999.

troutdodger
    has the small round bolt head with the smaller circle of checkering

Well does anyone know if I can buy a blank 30cal varmint contour criterion with 1.250 on the breech

troutdodger
    so you're gonna open up your receiver to take a large shank?

Nope have it threaded and installed like a rem .

You mean with a shoulder, just curious what are you trying to achieve.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

That way there will be more meat around the chamber area , barrel will be the same diameter at the lug as the action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast