Thread: Savage Bolt T & T Question

Saghi

Savage Bolt T & T Question

If you have an action that was trued, would changing only the bolt body negate any of the trueing job?

I have acquired a previously trued bolt head and receiver but want to change to a stainless bolt body. I'm pretty sure that my skill level would not allow me to notice any difference. However, I would like to know if this change may affect accuracy.

What do you think? Seems like the design of the floating bolt head would really make it so there is no difference. I'm always overlooking things so am asking what you think.

Yes it would affect the truing job, but no it probably wouldn't affect accuracy. Part of the truing process is recutting the cocking ramp in the bolt body so it's in time with both the lug ramps and the primary extraction ramp. One or all of those ramps being out of time with one another is the primary cause of the hard bolt lift common to Savage rifles.

The cocking ramp basically dictates how far the firing pin is retracted (cocked) and at what distance it is held at when in the cocked position. From the factory the cocking ramp greatly over-retracts the firing pin before letting it back down to it's held position which also contributes to the harder bolt lift.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Mr. B,

How is the ramp recut? Is the angle changed? One of mine looks as if the cocking piece pin is bearing on the bolt body more on the inside, like it's not square to the body. I always polish both pieces, never thought about it being machined 'wrong'.

Thanks.

Rich

Yep, angle is changed and the amount of lift is changed so it's not over-cocking.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain