Thread: First shots out of my .223 Stevens 200 build

Basic Member

First shots out of my .223 Stevens 200 build

Snuck out to my deer lease to put the first rounds down the pipe of my new Stevens 200 varmint build. I set up a target at 75 yds to make sure I was on paper. I have to admit that the first shot out of a rifle that you put together is a bit of a nervous experience. While I didn't go as far as tying a string to the trigger, I did get as far away as I could reach and turn my head... Nothing exploded, and my brass showed no signs of anything bad going on, so that was a victory in itself. After that, I proceeded to sight in, then shoot a couple of groups until I hit my 15 shot limit. Center target is the sight-in, and the 3 outside targets are 3 shots ea. Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we may have a shooter. That one on the bottom right is downright tiny. Looking forward to going back shooting this weekend. I'll back the distance off, and shoot some 5 shot groups and see what it looks like then. For the first time out though, with a middle of the road book load, I'm overjoyed.

Here's the rig

Team Savage
    Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    I really like the thumb hole stock,makes a good looking rifle,congrats on a shooter as well.
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. This is my first thumb hole stock. It's really comfortable shooting off a bench. I haven't tried it yet in other positions so, time will tell. So far, so good.

Basic Member
    Good looking groups and a great looking rifle. What weight bullets? Good to know CBI did right by you. Makes me want to start my second build, in .22-250 this time. Should've snatched up that used model 10 at Cabelas for $300 the other day...

Basic Member
    Thanks. CBI has definitely earned my repeat business. I'll be purchasing a 7RM barrel from them soon for a long range hunting build I have in mind.
    Those bullets are Hornady 52GR BTHP Match bullets. I happened to find them at Cabela's one day not long after Newtown when components (especially .224) were just about impossible to find anywhere, and bought the 2 boxes they had on the shelf. I'm looking forward to seeing how the groups hold up at longer distances.

Yup, you definitely have a shooter there.