Thread: Can someone solve my dilemma

Can someone solve my dilemma

I'm looking to buy a rifle but I'm unsure what it is ,large or small shank I look at a pic it looks like small shank nut but when I look up serial and it it says 1 1/8 nut so that's a large. I am all kinds of mixed up. I will post a pic of the nut.

I cant tell It looks like theres a step in front of the nut around the barrel, but I can really tell, but someone could here i'm sure
    Last edited by bushwackr; 02-08-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Hotolds442 posted pic for me

Here's the difference in the barrel nuts:

And if the barrel is a factory Savage barrel, the large shank barrel will be stepped like the one on the right:
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Posted your pic for you....
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Thank you, the nut looks like a standard, but serial says 1 1/8 and it looks like it has the step , want to make sure what I would be getting

The serial number you PM'd me is that of a large shank action, barrel nut, and recoil lug. I would plan on receiving it as a large shank if you were to buy it. It's also controlled round feed.

thats where I am confused because the pic looks like a standard, was there such this as a large shanks with odd nuts on them??

It really doesn't matter what nut is on it, the fact of the matter is that the action is a large shank and you cannot make those threads smaller. A talented machinist could put a wheel bearing nut on it if he wanted to.

Ok so maybe nut was messed with

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Here's the difference in the barrel nuts:

And if the barrel is a factory Savage barrel, the large shank barrel will be stepped like the one on the right:
    Not all large shank factory barrels have a step so don't depend on that as a way to determine shank size. There were some magnums built on the small shank.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Could be either/or depending on when it was made. If you post the serial number (i.e. F6847XX) we can tell you when it was made and possibly determine if it is indeed large or small shank. However, given the parts finder tells you it's a large shank, I'd tend to think Savage knew what it was when it left the factory.

Savage first started chambering the .300 Remington Ultra-Mag's (RUM) in 2001 and offered it through 2005. In 2002 they added the RSUM cartridges to their offerings, but they were dropped at the end of the same year. The Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) cartridges were introduced in Savage rifles in 2003, and the first ones were built on a small shank. As such it's safe to presume that the large shank didn't materialize until sometime in mid 2003 or later.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The serial is F936838

Savage stopped using the F prefix sometime in 2003, and given the high number it's very safe to assume this rifle would have been made in late 2002 or early 2003. Unfortunately that also puts it right on the bubble as to whether it could be large or small shank. Only way to know for certain would be to buy it, but again - given Savage's Parts Finder states it's a large shank I'd feel fairly confident leaning in that direction.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain