Thread: Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP (ACSS 308/223 HUD DMR)

Basic Member

Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP (ACSS 308/223 HUD DMR)

Well I thought I'd start a thread on this scope. After reading a lot about Primary Arms I figured what the heck, I try one! I will post my findings as I test the scope.
    To start out with I won't exclude any bad or good results. So here goes. I got the scope Friday and was not to pleased with the way it was shipped. The box that it comes in from the company was damaged and the end was opened? It is not packaged very good. The package looked like it had been dropped on its side and one of the turrets had punched through the package! So if you think it will be packaged like a upper end product forget about that! Also because of the way its packaged there is no way to know witch turret took the impact!
    The plan was to use this scope to replace my PST 4-16X50 that I was running on a Windham AR15. I want to move that scope to my 6.5-284, which now has a Vortex 4-16x50 HS SFP BDC. This I hope will standardize the three rifles I shoot the most to Mil/Mil FFP.
    Moving along, I went ahead and mounted the scope to the AR. I use a one piece Warne R.A.M.P. on this rifle and the switch was not easy. With the illumination knob located where it is I am unable to use the side mounts of the R.A.M.P. for a red dot and trying to install the level on the scope took some work as I had to trim it down to get it to work. I did manage to get it mounted.
    Next I set the rifle up so that I could bore sight it. I was only able to go to about 75 yards and that usually works good enough to get sighted in a 100 yards with very few rounds once I get to the range.
    Know keep in mind, I have not shot this rifle with this scope but right now I'm not getting a good feeling about this. The turrets are not centered very well. Windage after bore sight is 11.4 mils left to stop and 21.3 right to stop with total adjustment of 32.7 mils? Elevation is 11.3 mils down and 19.5 up for a total of 30.8. My PST was almost centered on this rifle.
    Now as far as the scope goes, other than what I've mentioned above, it does seem very good. The glass is exceptable , the illumination is very good and I am really anxious to run the reticle through its paces.
    So I hope this works out because I think it will be a really great concept for a run an gun coyote getter where I hunt because we usually only get a few seconds of a standing yote and then its off to the races!
    I will post up more as soon as I can and I hope the rest is positive! We'll see.

Basic Member
    Well I got a chance to go to the range to check out the new scope. I went ahead and set up a target at a 100 hoping I'd be on paper. Three shots showed me to be 1 mil high and a half mil left. I made the adjustment and the rifle was zeroed. I then tried to zero the turret and that took a little more work as I couldn't seem to get them lined up without moving my settings. I made a target aiming board to check the mil dots at 100 yards. They were very close if you lined up the dots from 2 to 10. But if you tried to start at the point of the chevron it would be off close to .2 of a mil all the way down to the 10 mil mark. This scope has basically a BDC reticle and I hate BDC's but it also has mil dots. This should make this reticle more reliable under field conditions. Another thing I noticed was that the 1st mil dot was missing. What I would call the vertical center line starts, according to the manufacture, at 4.5 MOA mark and calls this the 300 yard and 1mil mark so it throws the rest of the mil dots off.
    The glass seems good to me but that can be subjective. There is also a ton of parallax adjustment. I took it out to 300 yards using the turrets and then used the reticle and this also showed it to be off a little.
    I am really wanting to get out and setup targets from 50 to several hundred yards with known target sizes and run it through its paces just to see how fast I can engage targets and see how reliable it is to range with the reticle.
    Also the scope didn't seem to have any damage to it during the shipping as I had thought originally and that is a good thing!

Nickgt40
    Decided to take what you wrote and make it a bit more legible. Paragraphs make a huge difference. I'm Interested to see your reviews as you get more time behind the scope. I'm looking at buying the MIL/MIL version for my Axis build.

Well I thought I'd start a thread on this scope. After reading a lot about Primary Arms I figured what the heck, I try one! I will post my findings as I test the scope. To start out with I won't exclude any bad or good results. So here goes.

I got the scope Friday and was not to pleased with the way it was shipped. The box that it comes in from the company was damaged and the end was opened? It is not packaged very good. The package looked like it had been dropped on its side and one of the turrets had punched through the package! So if you think it will be packaged like a upper end product forget about that! Also because of the way its packaged there is no way to know witch turret took the impact! The plan was to use this scope to replace my PST 4-16X50 that I was running on a Windham AR15. I want to move that scope to my 6.5-284, which now has a Vortex 4-16x50 HS SFP BDC. This I hope will standardize the three rifles I shoot the most to Mil/Mil FFP.

Moving along, I went ahead and mounted the scope to the AR. I use a one piece Warne R.A.M.P. on this rifle and the switch was not easy. With the illumination knob located where it is I am unable to use the side mounts of the R.A.M.P. for a red dot and trying to install the level on the scope took some work as I had to trim it down to get it to work. I did manage to get it mounted. Next I set the rifle up so that I could bore sight it. I was only able to go to about 75 yards and that usually works good enough to get sighted in a 100 yards with very few rounds once I get to the range.

Now keep in mind, I have not shot this rifle with this scope but right now I'm not getting a good feeling about this. The turrets are not centered very well. Windage after bore sight is 11.4 mils left to stop and 21.3 right to stop with total adjustment of 32.7 mils? Elevation is 11.3 mils down and 19.5 up for a total of 30.8. My PST was almost centered on this rifle.
    Now as far as the scope goes, other than what I've mentioned above, it does seem very good. The glass is exceptable , the illumination is very good and I am really anxious to run the reticle through its paces.

So I hope this works out because I think it will be a really great concept for a run an gun coyote getter where I hunt because we usually only get a few seconds of a standing yote and then its off to the races! I will post up more as soon as I can and I hope the rest is positive! We'll see.

Well I got a chance to go to the range to check out the new scope. I went ahead and set up a target at a 100 hoping I'd be on paper. Three shots showed me to be 1 mil high and a half mil left. I made the adjustment and the rifle was zeroed. I then tried to zero the turret and that took a little more work as I couldn't seem to get them lined up without moving my settings. I made a target aiming board to check the mil dots at 100 yards. They were very close if you lined up the dots from 2 to 10. But if you tried to start at the point of the chevron it would be off close to .2 of a mil all the way down to the 10 mil mark.

This scope has basically a BDC reticle and I hate BDC's but it also has mil dots. This should make this reticle more reliable under field conditions. Another thing I noticed was that the 1st mil dot was missing. What I would call the vertical center line starts, according to the manufacture, at 4.5 MOA mark and calls this the 300 yard and 1mil mark so it throws the rest of the mil dots off.

The glass seems good to me but that can be subjective. There is also a ton of parallax adjustment. I took it out to 300 yards using the turrets and then used the reticle and this also showed it to be off a little. I am really wanting to get out and setup targets from 50 to several hundred yards with known target sizes and run it through its paces just to see how fast I can engage targets and see how reliable it is to range with the reticle. Also the scope didn't seem to have any damage to it during the shipping as I had thought originally and that is a good thing!

Basic Member
    I know this thread has little importance to a forum that deals with bolt action rifles, but I only threw it out there for those that are looking for a scope to use on a AR based rifle. So far it seems to be a very good scope for a precision AR. Only more trips to the field will let me know if this is the right scope for this platform.

Nick, You remind me of one of my old school teachers. lol. Thanks.

Basic Member
    The Primary Arms 4x-14 has a decent reputation on this site, so I am sure their were more than a few people curious about the ACSS version. So thank you for the review!! Personally, I just have no use for that reticle, seems I am a bit slow, because for the most part it just confuses me.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250