Thread: New Model 12 LRP Scratches Bullets - Seeking Advice

jmwhite151

New Model 12 LRP Scratches Bullets - Seeking Advice

Hi, I'm new to bolt guns (go easy on me). I just picked up a brand new Model 12 LRP in 6.5 CM tonight. Between when I ordered it and when I got it I've read a few threads on tight chambers, etc. on the Model 12 LRP. So I chambered a few rounds to see what would happen. Here are my observations using a box of Hornady 140gr (P/N 81494, Lot 3142483):

1. The action is reasonably smooth with no round in the chamber.
    2. When I chamber a round, it will get to about 1/8" short of fully closed and there will be a fair amount of resistance when closing it the rest of the way.
    3. For about 4 of the 20 rounds, I really had to pull back on the bolt to get the round to extract. I would guess around 10 pounds of force to extract. Most of the rest took less force than that but still more than I would expect.

Below are two pictures of one of the extracted rounds (all of the rounds had the same marks):
    A picture of scratches on the cylindrical section of the bullet (all of the rounds had these)

A picture of a scratch on the ogive section of the bullet (all of the rounds had one of these)

This picture shows the chamber. There is copper on two (or three) spots of the transition from the neck to the leade(?). I believe this is what is causing the scratches. The other spot mid-chamber I think is just where the newly abraded copper rubs off of the bullet when it is ejected. I was able to wipe this off easily with a Q-tip.

A few questions:
    1. Is this normal or the way it should be? (I assume not.)
    2. Any advice on what to do about it? Is there anything easy I can do to deburr it? Should I try shooting it to test accuracy? (Note: I don't yet have a scope mount.) Should I just contact Savage? (Keep in mind I bought this because I wanted something that was accurate out of the box. I'm not too interested in rebarreling it or anything like that.)
    3. Are there any recommendations on scope mounts/rings? I have a 30mm tube on my scope.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Jeff, This may do nothing but I would try and clean the chamber real good using a brass wire chamber brush. Then I would try again. If that does not fix it contact customer service.